Evinrude 4 hp 2 stroke problem. Updated with pics!

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 4 hp 2 stroke problem. Updated with pics!

it would cause it to starve for fuel as it will close the float needle long before there is enough fuel in the bowl.

modopopcorn

Seaman Apprentice

Then there's a problem, the pin that holds the float is made out of plastic and looks like it would brake if I put just a little bit of pressure on it, I guess I could take the pin made from metal from the other carb, what I can tell from the part suppliers webbshop it isn't possible to buy a new pin and/or float so I guess I'l have to be very careful when removing it.

Lenard

Cadet

Hi, the engine you have is a EURO4, i recognize it. It is designed and made only in and for Europe. I've worked a lot on these motors as we have a family dealership of Evinrude for over 35 years in the Netherlands. I can supply you all the parts that you need from our stock.

For your fuel problem, check the fuel tank and filter, you could have a flow problem.

modopopcorn

Seaman Apprentice

I managed to swap the pin out and installed the made from metal instead, problem is, with the float turned the way it looks on the schematics and as you guys say it should be fitted, it isn't even possible to mount the bottom of the float chamber on the carb. So I guess either is this a European version on the carburetor or could it be that you might remembering it wrong?

Lenard, that would be great! If you could send me an E-mail robbin.oberg@telia.com I could send you the part numbers so you could check if you could get your hands on them and calculate what is will cost to ship the parts to Sweden.

From what I can tell there's no problem with the flow of the fuel, when I open the fuel valve it pours out fuel at a good rate, and I'ts the same if I disconnect the fuel house from the carb it pours at the same rate, anyway, thanks for the tip! =)

nwcove

Admiral

guess i cant really speak about a european motor, but there should be no reason why a round float would interfere with the bowl being installed with the bias towards the bowl. ( great that you found a parts source tho!!!)

Rick.

Captain

I think you float is correctly installed but needs a little tweaking so that it is not at an angle when closed. My book for a 1971 4Hp. Evinrude says 1 3/4 turns out for the slow speed and 3/4 out for the high speed. I realize yours has no high speed needle. Many from Europe have reported extreme difficulty/expense at getting parts. Lenard you need to get your business name out there but I've no idea if this site would condone it. In any case modo I'm glad you are making progress and if you get that engine running you are going to love it. You can troll all day on very little fuel and they are very dependable. I have three of them but will be selling the newest two in the spring keeping my 71. I do have my eye out for a delux which is reported to have a neutral/forward shift which would be nice.
Rick.

modopopcorn

Seaman Apprentice

I've managed to get my hands on a carbkit and will have the new gasket and the kit before the weekend, hopefully I can get it up and running on saturday! =)

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

I wish you luck with the new parts. :happy:

By the way, the American 4 switched after 1978 to an integral tank like the Europeans already had since about 1972. I would be curious to see how many of the external parts for a 1979 model would cross over to your 1978 European model.