Evinrude 3hp lightwin

jwsimmons

Seaman
I just bought a 3hp Evinrude lightwin with a breakable shaft. When I bought it the guy told me that it run but the impeller needs fixed. I took it apart and the impeller looked fine there were no missing flaps or cracks in the wheel and the rubber wasn't dried out. I put it back together and tried running it. It will start but when it runs it smokes real bad then after a minute it dies. Then I have to wait a while to start it again. Almost like it's flooded. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thank you.

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 3hp lightwin

is it pumping water

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

did you buy it off ebay. i bought a couple off there and they said they thought it was something wrong with it and it was a whole different can of worms.

jwsimmons

Seaman

no,i bought it at a garage sale. I'm actiaully not sure if it's pumping water. I'm not sure if it's the exauast or impeller port i'm looking at.

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a look at this pictue and make sure you have the don't have the impeller in it's housing backwards.<br /><br /> http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson 5.5 HP Seahorse Outboard Boat Motor/Remove27.jpg <br /><br />That motor has several small exhaust outlett holes on the back of the lower unit. You should have water comming out of these holes at a good sputter.<br /><br />I would recommend replacing the impeller just so you know you have a new one. Even if the old one looks good, the rubber has improved over the years.<br /><br />Take a look at my 3 HP site on http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com <br /><br />I really love my little 3 HP Lightwin and plan to take it out today. I am going to follow the advice of another guy on this forum who told me where to put in on the Wabash River near where I live here in Indiana. I have bigger motors to play with but with the price of gas, I love the fact that I can have fun with this little motor all day long with way less than a gallon of gas. Since I tuned that Lightwin up, it is running smoothly and I would not trade it for a new one.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

As was said before, make sure she's pumping water. I helped a friend of mine with his and it sounds like the same problem we had. As you look at the front of the motor with the side covers off, there is a tube running from the bottom of the carb towards the rear on the right side. This tube comes in half held by a few screws. Clean that tube real good, I even started the motor with it apart and she started running real nice. I also sprayed some sea-foam into the carb while at fast idle to help clean any gunk out. Of course it could also be the carb adjustment.