evinrude 25hp painting with mercury paint .

tx121

Recruit
quick question . i have a grey blue 1990 evinrude 25hp i sanded with 400g alumi-oxide sand paper since everything is aluminum.
i want to paint it all gloss black . thinking about using the entire line of mercury paint oem . phantom black.
if i use all 3 of there products primer /paint/ clear. which all specific for use on outboards/ stern drives .
will i have any compatibility issue with the base coat from evinrude . will the mercury enamel products have any sort of weird reaction im not 100% on this being there both enamel based paints . can anyone confirm

airshot

Rear Admiral
This is why all paint mfgrs tell you to try a small test area before continuing. Wipe it all down with alcohol then use a primer, you should be good to go.

Bondo

Staff member
quick question . i have a grey blue 1990 evinrude 25hp i sanded with 400g alumi-oxide sand paper since everything is aluminum.
i want to paint it all gloss black . thinking about using the entire line of mercury paint oem . phantom black.
if i use all 3 of there products primer /paint/ clear. which all specific for use on outboards/ stern drives .
will i have any compatibility issue with the base coat from evinrude . will the mercury enamel products have any sort of weird reaction im not 100% on this being there both enamel based paints . can anyone confirm
Ayuh,.... Go to yer local hardware store, 'n buy some rattlecans of Rustoleum,....

Rustoleum has self-etching primers, bare metal primes, sandable primers, 'n rusty metal primers,.....
The gloss black enamel is just as black, 'n just as shiny as Merc Phanton Black,......
Wax it next year, 'n it'll be good to go, for a long time,.....

tx121

Recruit
Ayuh,.... Go to yer local hardware store, 'n buy some rattlecans of Rustoleum,....

Rustoleum has self-etching primers, bare metal primes, sandable primers, 'n rusty metal primers,.....
The gloss black enamel is just as black, 'n just as shiny as Merc Phanton Black,......
Wax it next year, 'n it'll be good to go, for a long time,

Wax it next year, 'n it'll be good to go, for a long time,.....
im not opposed to that idea. how about clear coating it . if i go this route ill just get there line of automotive enamel

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Mercury paint, 'Rude paint, Rustoleum....makes no difference. Black is black.

Use acid etching primer and all will be well. Motors don't come clearcoated, so no need to go that route. If you want to, OK. But it won't make the job last longer.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Only issue i forsee is the poor running of that poor omc after desecrating it with merc colors.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Merc "phantom black"

is just gloss black. its Rustoleum black, its GM tuxedo black

and specifically, its PPG 9000 black.

dont rattle can it. spray it properly following mercruiser/mercury instructions

Refinishing procedure:
This procedure should be used in refinishing MerCruiser sterndrives and transom plates. This procedure will provide the most durable paint system available in the field. The listed materials should be purchased from a local DITZLER AUTOMOTIVE finish supply outlet. The minimum packaged quantity of each material shown is sufficient to refinish several sterndrives and transom assemblies.
1 QT. DX-533 Alumiprep #33 metal preparation
1 QT. DX-503 Alodine #1201 conversion coating
1 QT. DP-40 Non sanding Epoxy Primer zinc chromate primer
1 QT. DP-401 Catalyst for DP-40
1 QT. DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel-black topcoat
1 Pt. DXR-80 Delthane Ultra-additive for acrylic enamel
1 QT. DTR-602 Acrylic Enamel Reducer-temperature range 70-90 degree F.
PROCEDURE:
1. Scuff sand to remove all blistered paint and roughen factory finish. Remove sanding dust.
2. Follow manufacturer's recommendations and instructions on the individual containers.
3. Apply DX-533 (Alumiprep #33) to clean and condition the aluminum.
4. Apply DX-503 (Alodine #1201) brush on chemical conversion coating for aluminum.
5. The DP-40 (Epoxy Chromate Primer) mixed with DP-401 Catalyst can now be applied. A .75 mil film build is recommended.
NOTE: Allow 30 minute induction period for permeation of the epoxy chromate primer and the catalyst prior to application.
6. The topcoat consists of DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel Black and the DXR-80 Delthane Ultra additive, and DTR-602 Reducer. It is a polyurethane acrylic enamel system which provides fast drying, durability, high resistance to corrosion and good color and gloss retention.
7. The type of spray gun used will determine the proper reduction ratio IMPORTANT: DO NOT use any type of aerosol spray paints, as the paint will not properly adhere to the surface, nor will the coating be sufficiently thick to resist future paint blistering.
NOTE: DO NOT PAINT SACRIFICIAL ANODES.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Merc "phantom black"

is just gloss black. its Rustoleum black, its GM tuxedo black

and specifically, its PPG 9000 black.

dont rattle can it. spray it properly following mercruiser/mercury instructions

Refinishing procedure:
This procedure should be used in refinishing MerCruiser sterndrives and transom plates. This procedure will provide the most durable paint system available in the field. The listed materials should be purchased from a local DITZLER AUTOMOTIVE finish supply outlet. The minimum packaged quantity of each material shown is sufficient to refinish several sterndrives and transom assemblies.
1 QT. DX-533 Alumiprep #33 metal preparation
1 QT. DX-503 Alodine #1201 conversion coating
1 QT. DP-40 Non sanding Epoxy Primer zinc chromate primer
1 QT. DP-401 Catalyst for DP-40
1 QT. DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel-black topcoat
1 Pt. DXR-80 Delthane Ultra-additive for acrylic enamel
1 QT. DTR-602 Acrylic Enamel Reducer-temperature range 70-90 degree F.
PROCEDURE:
1. Scuff sand to remove all blistered paint and roughen factory finish. Remove sanding dust.
2. Follow manufacturer's recommendations and instructions on the individual containers.
3. Apply DX-533 (Alumiprep #33) to clean and condition the aluminum.
4. Apply DX-503 (Alodine #1201) brush on chemical conversion coating for aluminum.
5. The DP-40 (Epoxy Chromate Primer) mixed with DP-401 Catalyst can now be applied. A .75 mil film build is recommended.
NOTE: Allow 30 minute induction period for permeation of the epoxy chromate primer and the catalyst prior to application.
6. The topcoat consists of DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel Black and the DXR-80 Delthane Ultra additive, and DTR-602 Reducer. It is a polyurethane acrylic enamel system which provides fast drying, durability, high resistance to corrosion and good color and gloss retention.
7. The type of spray gun used will determine the proper reduction ratio IMPORTANT: DO NOT use any type of aerosol spray paints, as the paint will not properly adhere to the surface, nor will the coating be sufficiently thick to resist future paint blistering.
NOTE: DO NOT PAINT SACRIFICIAL ANODES.
Your assessment is absolutely the best way to do it. The problem is that few non-professionals will have the equipment needed. That would be a big expense if all you wanted to do is paint one motor.

Back in the day rattle cans of zinc chromate primer and lacquer topcoat, followed by hand rubbing, would make a perfect job that would last for years and years. But times have changed....LOL.

North York Marine in Canada sells a line of rattle can enamels that are about the best that an amateur can buy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your assessment is absolutely the best way to do it. The problem is that few non-professionals will have the equipment needed. That would be a big expense if all you wanted to do is paint one motor.

Back in the day rattle cans of zinc chromate primer and lacquer topcoat, followed by hand rubbing, would make a perfect job that would last for years and years. But times have changed....LOL.

North York Marine in Canada sells a line of rattle can enamels that are about the best that an amateur can buy.
any paint store can mix up a rattle can with appropriate hardener. you have about 7 days to use it.

I get it mixed up for painting the bumpers on the wife and kids cars

tx121

Recruit
Only issue i forsee is the poor running of that poor omc after desecrating it with merc colors.
i would of left it as it other than the colors looked horrible with my freshly powdered coated black tower and aluminum cooler racks on my skiff. that grey blue flat out does not flow with my rig and on top of that my outboard was faded and kind of beat up.. the person before me had already painted that cowl seafoam green so i said screw it might as well do what matches my rig.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
any paint store can mix up a rattle can with appropriate hardener. you have about 7 days to use it.

I get it mixed up for painting the bumpers on the wife and kids cars
You learn something every day. I assumed that hardener had to be used with a sprayer.

Next time maybe I'll try that.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Nymarine sells paint and decals.Top quality stuff.Paint is year and brand spefic same as decals

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I hate to have to tell you this, but painting an OMC motor, Phantom Black, isn't going to Boost the Horsepower