Evinrude 1995 40hp running bad on full trottle

daselbee

Commander
1995 model is very likely to have SLOW. Look at temp sender in top of head. If it has two wires, one tan and one white/black, it has SLOW.
You have a bad roller in the slot of the cam. The marks will never line up with that bad roller. The carb roller looks OK.
The link and sync process on this motor is odd. You should get a factory service manual before you try and linkage adjustments.
For example, the short rod that attaches to the timer base is adjusted by LENGTH first. And that length is determined by the model number.
Oftentimes, you can get the motor to run right, and the marks will not line up like the book says. Don't freak out if the marks are slightly off when you have it the way you want it.
In your video, the engine seems OK to me. I cannot hear a problem.

Tommyaleks

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, it has 1 wire, and it`s brown I think, it looks that way tho. Yes I know. I have changed the roller to day so now I have a good one. I agree this is what I mean, that two arrows should be on the roller but they don`t match up. I have seen others on youtube and on a spear part engine that I have here and they are correct. the arrows line up and the top linkage are shorter than mine. so yes it`s odd. I have manual but not for my model number. it sounded ok because I did not go all the way up and hold it there, maybe I should do that but.. when I go high up and hold it there, the engine sound like it`s something is holding it back, or to little or to much fuel, or oil. if my engine can go at 6000 rpm in a normal state it sounds like it stops at 4500 rpm instead of 6000.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The water bucket is almost black and have oil in it. I have tried to adjust the mixing screws again and the engine changes in rpm but still acting the same. I wonder how fine this fine line is on the mixing screws.

Adjustments should be pretty sensitive. Target idle speed in gear, in the water is usually 650-700 rpms.

Think I would concentrate on low speed operation, and try again with the idle mix adjustment -- lean it out (clockwise) from initial setting. When rpms increase, throttle the engine down and continue setting the mix incrementally leaner, 1/8 turn at a time. When you get a lean sneeze, open it about 1/4 turn -- should be pretty close to proper setting. (At idle, must be able to shift into gear and between gears without stalling. If stalling, set the mix a little richer.)

Mix is set with the engine at operating temperature and in gear. Hose water temp is usually about 40F, so let the engine idle a while in the barrel to warm up. When up to 130 or so, though, watch it more closely as it can potentially overheat pretty quickly. 160F is too hot.

Maybe your idle mix is a little rich, and that's what you are hearing when throttling up.

Tommyaleks

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, Thank you oldboat1 I will try that. But I have decided to wait until the boat is on the water like you say, more work for the propeller and maybe is like you say, it works normal there. Maybe there is something safety issue here, So I will wait. Do you know what kind of battery I shall use for this engine? I`m planning to install couple of lights on the boat but nothing more than that. The battery I have now is a little old I think it`s 55 Amps or so. And is this engine battery powered or alternator powered ?

Tommyaleks

Seaman Apprentice
Okay thank you so much for helping me. I will do so, I need a new battery so I will look into that. I rest this engine problem for now until I get it on to the boat and into the water. Thank you all for helping me .