Evinrude 1976 Model 25653 25 HP exhaust housing shaft has spring stuck in it!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I was thinking recoil starter lockout, but that ain't it. Must be for the shifter interlock. That would be kind of hard to miss. Is it there?

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Interlock looks real close and I just worked last night and don't remember spring being there. That just might be it! I'm headed out to try it this morning. Thank you very much for all your help along the way it's been a real good experience with all the help I've had from the forum. Hopefully my experience can be a help to someone else down the road.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Just a point of information, in light of testing the compression, how many pulls on a pull start do I need to do to get accurate compression? Should I keep pulling until it rises no longer, or is there a better way to get accurate compression?

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
until it no longer rises....all spark plugs removed so there's no possible bleed over from or into an adjacent cylinder .. ignition disabled or spark plug leads grounded as well to avoid possible fuel ignition < fire >

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
I did that and got 80lbs per side. I've had different opinions but thought I would move forward anyway? What's your opinion? Also I can't get it to restart after an initial start where it seems like it floods the engine. It will start for 15 to 30 seconds rev up with a higher RPMs and then stop. Then it will not restart for a while. I've taken the fuel tank lines apart cleaned blown out and reassembled. I've taken the fuel pump fuel filter cleaned all parts and reassembled. I've tested for spark disconnected the blue wires check for constant voltage seems like I have everything I need but it won't start after initial start. I'm obviously missing something at this point and cannot, for the life of me, figure it out. Your help is greatly greatly appreciate. I walked away from it for 30 minutes to clear my head and I'm headed back out to see if I just missed the obvious

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Perhaps it's the fuel tank? After it stalls, I noticed that the bulb in the fuel line is not solid. Once I press it and put more fuel in the line, it tries to start again and goes for just 10-30 seconds as before. I'm thinking either tank, can't be lines as they have all been cleaned out. I've completely cleaned and reassembled fuel pump (carefully) and can only imagine maybe something is wrong with carburetor? I did rebuild it per instructions and youtube as a backup detail.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Once it starts, can you keep it running by squeezing the bulb? If so, the fuel pump, or lines would be implicated. ANY air leak anywhere in the lines between the fuel pump and the level of fuel in the tank will admit air bubbles and keep the pump from working. Also, there is a practical limit how high the pump can lift the fuel. So, you took the fuel pump apart?? Is it the 2" square pump? Hm.m.m.m.m.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
And yes it's the 2" square one. Part 0388685 which is the originals replacement part.

Last edited:

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Update: by the way, the bulb on the fuel line from the gas tank did stay firm when I raised the tank on the chair near to where the motor is being tested in the test tank. Thanks for that tip! Some things become real clear when it becomes obvious!

Last edited: