Evinrude 1959 35hp smoke and water video

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I gave my 1959 Evinrude a test run today (I've done a lot of work on this engine replacing all of the usual stuff and rebuilding all of the usual stuff).

I have a couple of questions: Does that look like a normal amount of exhaust? I know thse old engines smoke, but I don't know what's the normal amount.

And second, does that look like the right amount of water coming out of the exhaust? It's hard to see in the video, but water is coming out and its warm/hot. I can keep my hand on the cylinder head for more than 10 seconds, so it seems to be cooling as it should, but again I'm not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGPAj-dKm68

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 1959 35hp smoke and water video

Update: I removed the thermostat and I now have significantly more water out the exhaust. Could the thermostat be not opening all the way, or do they restrict the water flow normally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrE0GBarduE

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

It ran better with the t stats in. You should replace it though. There most likley over 50 years old. If you are worried about water flow I would install a tell tail on the outboard. What oil mix are you running I could be wrong but I though though ran on 24:1

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need a deeper barrel, the water level should be well above the water pump. The water pump does a good job of pumping when the water level is correct but do not suck water worth a darn.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It ran better with the t stats in. You should replace it though. There most likley over 50 years old. If you are worried about water flow I would install a tell tail on the outboard. What oil mix are you running I could be wrong but I though though ran on 24:1

I did install a new t stat and I'm running 24:1 per original specs.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need a deeper barrel, the water level should be well above the water pump. The water pump does a good job of pumping when the water level is correct but do not suck water worth a darn.

Actually the water level is well above the water pump and I was also using dog ears with high water pressure.

lindy46

Captain

That t-stat will open and close as needed to maintain 140-150 degrees, so you'll see less water when cold. I think you'll be ok, and the smoke is about normal for that vintage. Once you get it running on the lake, there will be less smoke.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I'll put the t-stat back in. The cylinder was warm, but not hot, so I guess the t-stat was working. I may do a stove top hot water test just to be sure. As far as the smoke goes, I do hope it'll be less once I'm on the water. :)