evinrude 15hp repair and maintenance questions

biologicole

Cadet
I'm new here and fairly new to boating. I'm pretty sure the water pump went out on my 15hp Evinrude yesterday because it wasn't squirting water out the back, only what looked like steam. It ran 10-15 minutes before I caught it and the engine was really hot. I found a YouTube video that shows how to replace the water pump and have found a replacement water pump in another section here on iboats. My questions are -- Because it got so hot is there anything else I should check or replace while I have the engine apart replacing the water pump? Are there other parts I should go ahead and replace as part of a preventive maintenance schedule? Have I damaged my motor because I lost the cooling system and it got hot? Thanks in advance for the help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The first thing to do is to check the compression.----------Not much point in installing a new pump in a ruined motor.-----If compression is OK then check the head bolts , if they are loose you might want to consider replacing the head gasket.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
You may have a thermostat. Depending on which model you have. Do you know what the model number is? But as said check to see if the motor got too hot before ordering parts.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Don't disagree with either of the suggestions -- compression is easy to check, and should do that. Depending on what you have (post model number), the t.stat can be a little tricky to get at. If it were mine and had $20 I wouldn't miss, I would go ahead and put in a new impeller -- need to make sure the old one is fully intact, or have to find broken parts (can jam water passages). Can't do much if it's not pumping water.

biologicole

Cadet
The model number is E15RCIS, which I believe makes it 1981 model. I bought it about 2 years ago. I checked the compression and it's 85 psi on both cylinders. Is this an acceptable compression? Does it have a thermostat? I'll definitely change it out if it has one. I'm thinking I may change the fuel pump too just so I know everything is new and dependable.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It left the factory with a thermostat installed.-------A new diaphragm is all you would need for the fuel pump.----Yes that is available.--Installed one today.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sorry -- already working on the water pump when you posted....missed that.

I take the cyl head off on them to remove the t.stat cover and the thermostat. Need a head gasket and a gasket for the t.stat cover. (fit for the t.stat cover is tight -- can do a better job on the workbench anyway.) Lower two headbolts are a tight fit -- remove half way to remove head cover, and insert half way when reattaching cover.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
good strong compression is 140psi.
if you removed the head you have to flatt the head surface in the auto workshop

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have had a lot of those motors and never had one that was near 140 psi usually between 90-110 psi is good and will be a great running engine.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I agree that 140 psi is expecting too much. But my gauge will not read the same as yours. I have a 40hp that reads 130 and 125 and a 4hp that reads 110 on both. I am not too worried as long as they are close to one another.

biologicole

Cadet
I have a fuel pump kit and a water pump kit ordered. From what you are saying the compression seems low but as long as they are both close I guess I'll go ahead and run it.