Evinrude 115 not starting

iwombat

Captain
Re: Evinrude 115 not starting

That clicking noise you're hearing is probably the spark jumping through the insulation on the plug wire to the block. Most likely it's jumping right were it connects to the coil. Might be telling you to get new wires, or at least clip off the end and re-seat the one in the coil.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! yeah I was later at it and it started to get darker, I could see the spark jumping, but not from the wire, but from the plastic case of the coil to the metal "U" . So I covered all the area with silicone and is better and will idle better but still jumping every 30 seconds or so, I think I will have to replace that coil, it comes with the wire attached to it so it will have a new wire too. Let's see what happens.

What I still trying to figure out is the fuel leak from the carb....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The fuel leak is probably from a leaking needle & seat or a misadjusted / stuck float. It really doesn't matter, the carbs should come off & get a good bath in carb cleaner. Then install new OE kits. A flooding carb is not good and a cloged carb will not flow fuel properly. Remember the oil is in the fuel. No fuel, no oil. Pistons don't like that.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would replace that cracked coil as soon as possible. Beside the fact that the coil is not working correctly, bad coils are known to damage powerpacks.

BTW, Most of the mechanics here recommend not using any silicone products on or around the engine.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I think I will be replacing that coil...are the SIERRA brand recommended? or is better just to go to the local dealer and get the genuine coil? Man, dealer prices kill me, they want $50 for the coil, and $40 for each carb kit....
About the carb job, how many hours should I put aside to do it? I'm a firts timer but I'm familiar mechanical work...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't have a problem with the Sierra coil but I only use OE carb kits. If there's something wrong in the carb area, the pistons suffer. I no longer need pratice rebuilding motors.

Those carbs are very simple. Get the OE manual and follow it step by step. The first time might take you a bit longer but a couple hours (not counting soak time) should do it.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ezeke said:
I would replace that cracked coil as soon as possible. Beside the fact that the coil is not working correctly, bad coils are known to damage powerpacks.

BTW, Most of the mechanics here recommend not using any silicone products on or around the engine.

Now that I think about it.....leaking gas and a spark coming out of the coil.....not a good mix.....just ordered the coil from this website.....
I'll get to the carbs after I install it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

A few things about removing the carburetors for rebuild:

Pull a cloth under the carburetors while you work so that when [not if] you drop parts, they will be easy to find and retrieve;

Undo the four nuts on each carb a little at a time rather than doing one nut and then another. That way you won't keep bumping into the carburetors;

In addition to the carburetor kits, you should buy new hoses and clamps. The new hoses are resistant to the new fuels. More importantly, you cannot get to the hoses without removing the carburetors, so this is the time to make them right.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good deal ezeke.
Update: I put the new coil today, it fired up at the first crank. It is running much better, I'd say is running good, The idle is good too. I took this video so you guys can give me your opinions and since I have no tach, do you think it is idling at the correct RPM?

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v396/larinoriani/Video/Random/000_0640.flv"></embed>

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys think is idling correctly?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Sounds OK, but see if you can borrow a hand held tach from a mechanic. You don't want to be idling too fast when you shift - it is too hard on the gears.

It is pretty easy to hook up a tach on that motor and there are plenty of them around.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kind of tach do you recommend?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would not buy a tach from someone who says "Sold As Is".

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link! Was it easy to install??

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I took out the boat for the first time yesterday, we had a blast. She runs like a champ, motor feels so good at all speeds, and is just matter of a few seconds to get her out of the hole. Shes not that fast, but fast enough,I don't have a speedo, but my wind-o-meter told me about 45-50 mph at full throttle.What I don't like is the fact that is very hard on gas, I burned 6 gal in about an hour. No "cold start isssues" so far whatsoever.

I'm thinking if when I do the carb job it will improve a little? or is it normal for a 115?
The other think I didn't like too much was the steering, I put some white lithium grease to the steering rack but still to hard to make left turns.
Thanks to all who collaborated in this thread and in bringing this baby back on the water after two years.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Try turning the back of the trim tab a click or two to the right. That should help the steering. Use small increments.