everything right but some thing radically wrong

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1959 35hp. johnson. it has not run for 20 years. i rebuilt the carb,installed new points cond& coils. put all new seals and gaskets in lower unit. motor starts up fine idles ok but does not get up tp full powercheched compresson 115 on 1& 120 on other.have manual set timing as instuucted, points set at..020changed gas ,changed oil mix fron 24/1 to 50/1 after 30 minutes running plugs are coversd with a black sotty carbon not wet dry. tried lean out low speed runs better but now so lean needto choke or rich up low speed to start .needle jets are good.in 20 minutes it will burn 3 gal of gas.no matter what i do plugs come out the same covered with ablack sotty dry carbon in 15 minutes.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: everything right but some thing radically wrong

Sounds like you overlooked a few things on the carb rebuild, Hooker. You are running very rich.<br /><br />Float is probably too high or the needle isn't seating properly. High speed needle may be bent and not seating properly.<br /><br />Go back to 24:1 fuel mix. That is OEM spec.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the oem spec was for 30 wt motor oil. it will run just fine at 50 to one tcw-3 and smoke a lot less. go back through the carb. and look for a puddle drain system at the lower corner port side of the intake manifold. if it is not working then funny things will happen. good luck and keep posting

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and I have another power head here if your interested email me at rodbolt40@yahoo.com<br />might be a 58 I cant remember

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply. i normally used a 24/1 mix but tried 50/1 to see if it made a difference it didn't. iwill look for puddle drain tomarrow. manuul does not mention it. did notice a black oily material on the port side by shift lever. it was also wet under the exhust cover gasket seem ok . ran motor in test bbl. for 15 mins. did not see any gas or other leak in fuel pump or filter bowel. i do get a black oily stuf out of a small hole above the lower unit. hole run up the casing to some where above probably to the engine comp.