Ever wonder why the local news does so many "Live" reports?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
You know, with the reporter standing in front of a dark courthouse at 10pm saying, "Just 6 hours ago, right here at the courthouse..." or standing in front of a generic truck saying "...a truck very much like this one behind me...."<br /><br />It's because some brilliant researcher discovered that seeing the word "live" on the screen freezes your hand, forcing you to stop channel surfing for a few seconds.<br /><br />My personal favorite is when a Dallas reporter stood in front of a local McD's to report on their press release about the adult happy meals. What a waste of resources!

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ever wonder why the local news does so many "Live" reports?

I aleways like when we get a storm here. They send some reporter out on the end of a pier or at the end of an alley where the wind is always the worst and the rain is going horizontal. Then it gets broadcast as if we were in the storm of the century. The Weather Channel did it during a mild storm 2 years ago and my mother in NY saw it. She called all upset because she thought we were in some sort of great danger. I was just glad I didn't have to water the garden.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ever wonder why the local news does so many "Live" reports?

Mr.Ladyfish, amen! And after a heavy rain, they find a ditch full of water, put rubber boots on and with the live camera rollin, they say, "I'm standing in {local housing developement}, and the torential flooding has caused a calamity" or some such rot.