Ever own a Sleeper Car?

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Come on guys most of us had one at one time,Let's hear'em.......1. My 1968 Pontiac Catalina 2 door family looking car bright red.... dual exshaut, 8 lug wheels, bench seat with a factory 4 speed and the best part a 428cid 390hp 4 barrel this car as heavy as it was could smoke the wheels at 50 in 2nd gear just by nailing the gas. 2. My 1968 Crysler New Yorker 10 tons of chrome and the car had the trailer towing package 440HP cid Holley 4 barrel and a posi rear. Could not keep the right motor mount from breaking too much torque. 3. my 1976 Cosworth Vega enough said.....

NathanY

Commander
Re: Ever own a Sleeper Car?

My 1979 Freightliner Classic. 425hp pure adrenaline rush. Ever been in 15,000lb truck runnin 90, with no air ride and no jake? Lots-o-fun, but will never do it again.

one more cast

Captain

Closest Thing I had was a Chevy Monza hatchback with a 307 or was it a 305? and a four speed.

ebbtide176

Commander

i guess it was maybe a local thing anyway - had a mustangII (2) and i blew the 4cyl in it, jumped into 2 qtrs of shop/mech in high school, dropped a v6 2.8 in, had Cotten Perry(Gatornationals 6cyl) fiddle with, put duals on, and outran 350's quite often with... even had friends with the little miller ponies in hand, legs hanging out the hatchback during all that. :) <br /><br />just to let you know - cotten didn't just give free work away, it took some serious buttkissing, begging, and a little grunt labor... :D <br />and he had to like you. i have to say, he only seemed to help the guys who he felt were good guys, no chip on the shoulder... i ran into him a few yrs ago when visiting the ole home town - he remembered me! we're talking 20+ yrs. of course he reminded me how badly i needed help back then... <br />i think he was satisfied that i have a job, home & a wife... LOL

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My sleeper was a '50 Nash.<br /><br />Front seats reclined flat to make a bed. That is a REAL sleeper.<br /><br />My Q-ship was a '38 Ford coupe. "Full race" 256ci. '48 Merc with 4 Stromberg 97s, Edelbrock heads, Potvin "Eliminator" cam, Etc, etc, etc. About 300hp in a 2200lb car. Got about 2mpg and went like stink.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My Q-ship was a '38 Ford coupe. "Full race" 256ci. '48 Merc with 4 Stromberg 97s, Edelbrock heads, Potvin "Eliminator" cam, Etc, etc, etc. About 300hp in a 2200lb car.
:D ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. flatheads..

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Flatheads were so cool... I owned MANY of them in my younger days.

one more cast

Captain

Here is a flathead sleeper.. errr napper from my past. Its a '47 ford with an inverted jeep front axle, a 3 speed mounted behind a 4 speed and a dump truck rear end.I swapped a pair of chrome reverse rims for it, the seller couldn't get it running. This thing would do wheelies and if you put both tranny's in reverse you could pop the cluth while idling,go in the house and take a crap and it would be at the end of the drive way waiting when you came back out.
47ford.jpg

D

DJ

Parents car.<br /><br />1970 Buick Wildcat. 455 cid-4V. 415 factory HP, as I recall. All the goodies of an Electra with a better looking body.<br /><br />My first ride was a '70' Buick Gran Sport-Stage I, 455 cid. Not really a sleeper but would frequently beat up on unsuspecting Camaros and Firebirds. Not to mention a few Mopars. :D

dolluper

Captain

64 Pont Laurentain 400ci block 4bolt main<br />crank 4.250" 3"main<br />pistons flattop 9.5 to 1<br />heads eldelbrock aluminium ported 300cfm intake 87cc cmbustion chambers<br />carb edelbrock 1000 cfm<br />trannie 400 >3500-4000 stall <br />Alot of other goody's it ran low 11's and had about 550>580 hp the only sleeper I had until the cops took me off the road ,I continued with other cars but only at the track under tow

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

First one, a 1976 Ford F250 crew cab pickup. 390 built. Not a bad runner.<br />Next one, a Ford Country Squire station wagon. This was a real grocery getter, Brady Bunch wood grain look on the sides. 429cj, bored cammed 4bbl Holley, custom headers, the works. Nothing was funner back in the 80's than blowin the doors off the new camaros with a wagon.<br />Then I had a 1974 Ford Gran Torino Elite. <br />My favorite, an orange 1973 Oldsmobile Omega hatchback. Took out the wimpy in line 6 and replaced it with a 455 Rocket. Biggest cam we could stuff in it, Holley 4bbbl, everything we could afford to do we did. Behind that we gave it a Ford 9" posi. Could not get traction, so drove it with a set of M/T 15"wide soft walls. That worked great until we pulled a wheelie to the rear bumper breaking the lower control arm on the landing. <br />My latest was a 1970 Mustang Coupe. The body was rusted out, black and gold hood, grey primer fenders and doors, yellow trunk and roof, some red paint here and there. Pulled the 302 and stripped it. Built it back up with a lightweight stroked crank, lightweight longer rods, aluminum 351 Windsor heads, and about $3500 in other parts not counting machine work. That one was awsome until I pulled second gear one time and pulled the front end off the ground. This twisted the frame enough to shatter the widnsheild.

D

DJ

Deputydawg reminded me of another one.<br /><br />1973 Ranchero Squire (that's right, wood grain).<br /><br />429 cid, tow package. Very light car with gobs of low end grunt.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> Closest Thing I had was a Chevy Monza hatchback with a 307 or was it a 305? and a four speed.
monza spider ;) - 305cid i believe

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I won many a race in my 66 Impala SS. Everybody thought it was a dog.<br /><br />The trick was that I could floor it right off the line without spinning tires. Everybody else was spinning.<br /><br />I lost one major race by 2-3 car lengths, but the other guy was running Nitrous Oxide. I worked on the car for a week getting it ready for that race, borrowing parts from friends. Had an offer to buy it that night, refused.<br /><br />My best memories are in that car, still have it.<br /><br />Ken

one more cast

Captain

posted by Barlow monza spider - 305cid i believe
The Monza I had was not a spider. it was just a regular Monza that someone ordered from the factory with a V8 4 speed option. To change the plugs you had to loosen one motor mount, completely remove the other motor mount and jack up the engine to get at the plug behind the steering box. I sold it after changing the plugs one time.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

yup .. a buddy of mine had one - a spider tho..<br /><br />brings back a few laughs I had once upon a time :D

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The best "sleeper" I ever had was one I purchased in Seattle, Wash. while on vacation with my parents, in 1962. <br /><br />My dad came back from a shopping trip with his buddy and told me about a auto sales lot that had several identical 1961 city owned cars, that were bought at auction in Portland, Ore. and I might be interested.<br /><br />He took me to the car lot where I almost wet myself. There were only three left, but there they were.........Three 1961 Chevy Biscayne's....2 door sedans, with 348 cu. in. engines and column 3-speed tranny's. These were faster than a "speeding ticket."<br /><br />One was white, one was green and one was silver and all three had only about 15,000 miles each on them. I fell in "car love" with the silver one. I drove it and told my dad I would love to have it. I was only 17 and had just graduated high school a couple of months past, but I had been working since I was 14 and had saved a decent amount of money. I called my grandparents and had them wire the money and bought the car the next day. The price was right...$1595.00, with no sales tax, due to being an out of state resident.<br /><br />Two days later my grandmother called us early in the morning and asked if I liked the car. She was told yes very much and I thanked her for sending my money. she then told me it was a "going away" present from my grandfather, as he died the night before.<br /><br />Arriving home a couple of days later, I was very proud to drive my new car in the funeral procession and it kept it for a many years.<br /><br />I still have the trophy's and plaque's I won at two different drag strips in our area.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

76 nova with a small block v8<br /><br />- yellow - but I had it in 1998<br /><br />It looked like the ultimate red neck car - especially when you would put on a tshirt and drive around town<br /><br />and<br /><br />It was a beater<br /><br />HOWEVER,<br /><br />Little emmission controls - V8 rear wheel drive - when you punched it went<br /><br />Had a new then 98 vette get really pissed as we went from light to light <br /><br />As long as the road was straight I was king....<br /><br />Wife wanted to keep it when we moved to the new house but I said no way

NYMINUTE

Captain

I found ways to make mine sleepers, well at least assuming the sleep position.