Evacuee Rant

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Evacuee Rant

Lets face it guys, there are all classes in our society.<br /><br />The hurricane seperated those that can think and do for themselves, and those that can't.<br /><br />The only ones we are hearing about are those that can't.<br /><br />Did anyone hear about the 20 people that crammed into one car and drove 20 MPH from NO to Shrieveport before the storm? These are the resorceful ones who will survive and prosper.<br /><br />Ken

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I saw that on the news this am....They were all packed in a Hyundai...and traveled 20mph...they were in the trunk (opened of course) on top of each other....and some of these people were a good size!<br /><br />What we keep hearing about is on NO... Why aren't we hearing about MS and Al. because they have things under control and the population as a whole are government dependent.....that's what really angers me.....NO was a city full of government dependent people...Now a lot of them are in Houston expecting to live the same way....that's not good for any society or community!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

at the shelter my sister stayed in and became a red cross volunteer in Meridian MS they had several like that. one was a van load of people that did not know each other before the storm. seems the driver went house to house and told people he was heading out and if the wanted a ride the van left at X hour. he got 12 I think to meridian, thats as far as the gas held out.<br /> so I agrre that to much attention gets placed on the bad and not enough on the good. I do think that in a populace displacement of this size you will see some from all segments of society, the good, the bad and the ugly.<br /> my sister and 2 others took in 170 refugees with no security and no power for 2 days. they had no problems. the van driver was found to be a cook so he got moved to a shelter with a kitchen, sis says he did a wonderful job feeding people for the next week.<br /> for those that have never prepped,cooked and served 300 plus meals 3 times daily, plus mid-rats, its a helluva lot of hard back breaking work. lucky I was cranking on a destroyer as a 3rd class petty officer and not a carrier as a seaman recuit.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> what really angers me.....NO was a city full of government dependent people...Now a lot of them are in Houston expecting to live the same way....that's not good for any society or community!
C'mon, Kelton, NO was a city full of artists, man, you must have visited there & seen 'em all over the sidewalk...musicians & sketch artists & portraitists & fortunetellers & pickpockets & watercolorists & con artists. And chefs & drink mixologists & do not forget the dancers. And the female impersonators. And the "personal massage" artists, if you know what I mean. It's what George meant when he said "we can't imagine the United States without New Orleans."<br /><br />Surely the Houston culture can suck up a few artists? <br /><br /> ;) <br /><br />[btw rodbolt, give your sister an "attaboy" for us, she makes you proud. There's been a few good news stories...reporters have to work harder to find 'em cause they're not runnin down the street shouting for attention.]

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Lets face it guys, there are all classes in our society.<br /><br />The hurricane seperated those that can think and do for themselves, and those that can't.<br /><br />The only ones we are hearing about are those that can't.<br /><br />Did anyone hear about the 20 people that crammed into one car and drove 20 MPH from NO to Shrieveport before the storm? These are the resorceful ones who will survive and prosper.<br /><br />Ken
I dare say Ken nailed it on the head. The resourceful, inovative, and motivated have already left. They were proactive, they got out BEFORE they became victims.<br /><br />What we are getting and hearing about now is the trash that was left. I wouldn't dare say "all" that lived in New Orleans were a bunch of un-motivated, ungrateful pieces of human garbage. However, it may not be a stretch to say that that all who were LEFT may fit this category.<br /><br />They waited for somebody else to come get them. They weren't even motivated enough to save their own skins, why would you expect them to be motivated enough to clean their plates?<br /><br />With respect to JB and the tough job he has moderating this board, this is obviously a generalization and over-simplification. I'm sure there are exceptions.<br /><br />However, I'm sure you see the point. The "refugees" and "victims" are obviously problematic, because they represent the lowest class. Those that were motivated are long gone before they became evacuees.

ehenry

Commander

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> Why aren't we hearing about MS and Al because they have things under control and the population as a whole are government dependent.
I don't believe the population of MS as a whole is government dependant, Kelton. Where you get that idea?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

ef, <br />I may be wrong but I think KK omitted "not" in his statement. I think it should read .....as a whole are not government dependent. That would make more sense to me. How about it KK??

ehenry

Commander

I would hope thats what he meant. Things down on our coast are moving right along, however there are some out lying areas that aren't getting the resouces they need. Hopefully they be getting what they need soon.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

ef, <br />I may be wrong but I think KK omitted "not" in his statement. I think it should read .....as a whole are not government dependent. That would make more sense to me. How about it KK??<br /><br />
That's exactly what I meant....all we're hearing about is NO. What about the other areas that were devestated. But these areas are making progress.<br /><br />sorry for the late response, but I've been out of town

D

DJ

860 dead, accounted for, so far. Many died of gunshot wounds.<br /><br />Sad, very sad, to see society turn on the weak.