Ethanol in fuel...

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a nice used boat in great condition. It's a 2006 16' Smokercraft with a 40hp Mercury outboard - nice little boat.

The previous owner (nice guy) had just sent me this in an email as an FYI:

=============================================================
E-15 Fuel Approved, Boaters Beware
by: Dan Swanson 4/4/2012
I warned about this over a year ago. I hoped it wouldn't happen but the EPA is now allowing up to 15% ethanol additive in gasoline. It may not be a problem in cars that are only a few years old but outboard motors on boats do have a problem.

From the press release "E15 is not permitted for use in motor vehicles built prior to 2001 model year and in off-road vehicles and equipment such as boats and lawn and garden equipment. Gas pumps dispensing E15 will be clearly labeled so consumers can make the right choice."

Mercury Outboards did testing for the US Department of Energy on the Verado and EFI engines. 2 out of 3 of them failed when tested with E-15. Damaged valves and bearing failure were the result. Yamaha Here is the full report.

So, when you fill up. Be sure you read the pump label. If it's E15 buy your gas somewhere else.
Here's a useful site that lists places that currently sell non-ethanol fuel. It's stored in the bookmarks on my phone.
=============================================================

The problem is that Ethanol-free fuel is a rarity now (thanks to wonderful EPA)... there are only 6 gas stations in the whole state of CO that provide true gas. Should I be concerned about using 91 grade premium from any old pump?

I should also say that it's a 4-stroke EFI engine and there is a Racor fuel filter with water separator in-line the fuel supply line....

James in Denver

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ethanol in fuel...

Use 91 if Merc recommends it, otherwise use the 87. Don't get fuel from any station that's had a delivery that day (ask inside), and be sure to read the pump. 10% (in and of itself) won't harm your motor provided you take preventive measures with your tanks ... ;)

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice

Outsider - can you give me an idea what you mean when you say: "provided you take preventive measures with your tanks"? Also, why does it matter on the fuel deliver to the station the same day?! Just curious...

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

James, it's good that you have the Racor. Also, be sure to use marine Stabil (or other stabilizer) in every tank of fuel and check that your fuel lines are rated for ethanol use. Premium gas is fine but not necessary. Good Luck!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Recent fuel delivery stirs up the water and much laying in the bottom of the stations tanks, give it a day or two to settle so you can prevent pumping that muck into your boat/car/lawnmower.

Many boaters do not use their boats enough, new fuel sits and begins to age. Many owners religiously add stabilizer at every fill-up to help ensure their fuel will stay good.

Manufacturers specify the octane rating necessary for the motor, buying fuel of a higher rating does not provide any increase in power or performance, it only hits your wallet a bit harder.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On the fuel delivery comments - Huh. Any busy station receives multiple deliveries every day. If this was true about stirring up the water/muck the highways would be littered with dead cars. And the fuel pumping system is shutdown if any water is detected in in the tanks. Major fuel brands are serious about keeping clean fuel because they would lose tons of $$$ from lawsuits if their gas was killing cars. And in most cases state law requires automatic safe guards to protect from and detect bad fuel. If you really want to roll the dice use a low volume station - who knows what lurks in the bottom of those tanks or if the safe guards work.

I agree that E15 shouldn't be used in a marine environment today and until the marine manufacturers upgrade to handle E15. Older motors run fine on E10 - live with it. But the extra 5% in E15 really could upset things. This paragraph is my opinion.