eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

thanks narwhals and all who helped on the project much appreciated :)

M

mrcrabs

Losnbama, I talked with the man that really knows about the viton tipped needle on the old carbs VS the new seat and needle, and he said:
you put the new style in a bend the float tab or leave it the way it is,,part 631505 is NLA

its
very hard to get this info to sink in on most

I say you can replace the viton tip and many have made it work that way.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok ok ok..ill get a vid of the motor,on a boat,in the water and actually zoomin down the waterway...as soon as ma can

M

mrcrabs

I like the bama style fuel cell, now lets go run that puppy...Those narrow legged Eskas like to be run high on the transom if you weigh in about 200

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was wondering where to set the trim on this one...thanks mrcrabs...gonna put it in the river this wknd! im interested to see how it pushes my 12' monark flat bottom...not fast im sure,but anything better than a trolling motor and i will be satisfied indeed..thanks guys!

M

mrcrabs

don't trim it out, keep it in close and high,

I added about 2" to the transom of our 14' jon and she runs nice for 7.5, watch the wake behind my boat, my 7.5 deluxe won't throw that good of a wake, to much metal in the water.
http://youtu.be/3SbStxqaVXA

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh. dont wanna have too do that tho. smooth top on the 12' monark. the boat is heavy enough as it is haha. the lil 5hp i have may not even push it. but it sets low in the front with 2 ppl. and ima bout 275lbs and always sit at the stern. im just hoping the lil eska picks the bow up even a little bit. jus one prob now. its super super hard to start cold. i gotta keep adjust on the main jet till it starts and then adjust to get a smooth transition from idle to full throttle. im stuck. there is a little drip coming from the bowl drain. got parts this morn for that tho. itll b late b4 i can install them.
any other sugg to look for while im at it?

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well put it in the water and pulled and pulled and pulled some more. reset the main needle checked the bowl drain yep got fuel. pulled some more. just spots and spuuters till all the fuel in the bowl is gone. atp im :mad::mad: SO i loaded up and went home. took the carb off took the bowl off. NEEDLE STUCK. yup the old needle was hung up in the valve,restricting the inflow of fuel:( you were right mr.crabs. ima put the new seat and needle in even tho my float tang will b all outta wack. long as i get the correct spacing it shouldnt matter right?

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I might be inclined to shorten the ***** end of that needle to get the float right. I have grooved those thangs puttin'em in a hand drill, and holding a hack saw blade on it. If you have the needle hangin' out of the chuck so the drill chuck jaws are where you want the groove, the chuck jaws can be kind of a guide for the hack saw blade. It's rough as a cobb, but you can use the little spring clip when you're done.

M

mrcrabs

I might be inclined to shorten the ***** end of that needle

WoW!!! its like were on the same wave length Mahty...LOL I was think the same thing,,,shorten that @#%@% needle :eek: if you can

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats too exoctic atm..but i did use a vice and 3 nn pliers lol...but now that u mention it one could just "spin-up" the spring onto the new needle without any mods...well maybe file the shoulders of the needle a little bit... but a very little bit...should work aeh?

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know why not - I think I'd do that before I'd allow the float to be jacked down into the bottom of the bowl. Well, Mr C., they say great minds think alike, so I really have no explanation for how I ended up with the same idea you had.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the float isnt jacked the tang is.the float sits at rec specs but the tang is over bent to compensate ya know..well here it is on the creek still need some kind of adjs i think..its terribly hard to start but once it does it does ya know...(the tail tell was under water could b one reason) adding to my transom(as mr.crabs) is out of my grasp as it is flat on top.so i would have to weld an exstention to it..or maybe less a.. in the back of the boat haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK6G3N5tTok

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the cav plt is just below the bottom of the boat...but the water line on the boat itself is 5 inches above the cav plt...does that mean i can raise this motor 5 inches without risking overheating and good performance???

M

mrcrabs

don't know but I will go take pic of mine and be back in a jiffy.....

M

mrcrabs

Well it seems Iboats head IT guy Delray hasn't worked all the bugs out of the system, :rolleyes:

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah mine looks bout the same IMG_0603[1].jpg