Eska 15hp (Gamefisher) doesn't want to lift fuel from the tank

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have this little 15hp Sears Gamefisher 2-cyl watercooled outboard I've been going through trying to get right. I replaced the impeller, housing, sealed up the lower unit, rebuilt the carburetor, all new carb components, new pump element in the carb positioned correctly as per the repair manual. Everything mechanical is functioning EXCEPT the ability to lift fuel from the tank after running for a short period.

If I set the tank physically higher than the engine, it runs fine, forever and ever, no problem. If I have the motor on a stand running in a bucket of water, with the tank on the ground, it will prime up, start, run for a bit then stall. Won't restart until I prime the bulb and restart.

When I had it on my friends little boat, it was exhibiting the same issue with the tank sitting physically below the motor. I the carb apart and replaced all components suspecting a fuel pump element issue but it's still not able to lift fuel from 4 ft off the ground.

Is there a limit to how much lift a little motor like this can pull fuel? Is there a fuel system components specific to these engines I'm missing? Any ideas as to why it will run absolutely fine with the tank at or above the motor height but not below? Again carb is gone through, everything replaced with new stuff per service manual, instructions followed to a tee, same issue as before. Tank IS vented and the vent is open when this is happening!

Thanks!

500dollar744ti

If I have the tank this high, it won't pump fuel. If I put it above the engine like gravity feed, it's fine. Obviously the fuel pump. Fuel pump is a weak little thing on the side of the carb but all components are new.

Attachments

• 166491660414917218548966790810.jpg
    166491660414917218548966790810.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

flashback

Captain
I think you're asking a lot of the pump. 4ft is a tall order for a diaphragm...

500dollar744ti

I think you're asking a lot of the pump. 4ft is a tall order for a diaphragm...
You're right. It wasn't pumping at all though and I did figure that out. The parts diagram for the carb is a copy of a copy of a copy.. etc, and I put the gasket on top of the check flappers instead of below it. Now it does lift a reasonable amount. What I mean is I can use it on the small boat now and it will get fuel to the engine haha.