Erratic Timing Light Reading on '96 Force 120

Jiggz

Captain
Coil wires will only be burnt by excessive draw of current, i.e., a short between the windings or there is a short on the load side. Check which coils or windings is burnt. As mentioned, the alternator windings are larger while the charge coils are finer wires or smaller wires. This will give you an idea what could be causing the windings to fry. While at it, check the integrity of the magnet under flywheel. If you can post pics of the old (previous one) and new (current one that is also burnt) stators it'll be great for analysis.

Last edited:

Murph007

Cadet
Coil wires will only be burnt by excessive draw of current, i.e., a short between the windings or there is a short on the load side. Check which coils or windings is burnt. As mentioned, the alternator windings are larger while the charge coils are finer wires or smaller wires. This will give you an idea what could be causing the windings to fry. While at it, check the integrity of the magnet under flywheel. If you can post pics of the old (previous one) and new (current one that is also burnt) stators it'll be great for analysis.
AND... it looks like the voltage regulator is not passing the diode test! Put in the new stator and switch box. Looks like I will be looking for a regulator next.

Jiggz

Captain
If only troubleshooting, you can actually disconnect the rectifier and the motor should run if everything else is up to par. Then you know the problem is the rectifier.

Murph007

Cadet
Update: I replaced the regulator/rectifier, replaced the 4 year old battery and put everything back together. I now have 4 strong sparks! Took it on the water ( 5 minutes away ) and no start. What's interesting is that the starter disengages within 2 seconds. Not sure why.

topgun3690

Ensign
" What's interesting is that the starter disengages within 2 seconds." That could be the sign of a weak starter.....Is yours the original starter or an aftermarket one?

Jiggz

Captain
During starting, the starter pinion is designed to disengage itself as soon as the flywheel starts rotating faster than the starter rotation. And normally this is due to the fact that the motor has already fired up and started running. However, there are instances when the flywheel will kick a second or two faster than the starter rotation because one or two cylinders actually fired but not the subsequent cylinders. Usually, this is refer to as a, "cough" or "sneeze" of the motor.

If this continued to happen there are usually two sources of problem, timing and also too lean or too low of idle settings. With too lean or too low of idle setting, the motor tries to start but unable to sustain such sneeze or cough due to low idle or too lean of a setting. Obviously, timing is an easy fix since you can actually see this with a timing light.

Now for a simple remedy, set the idle air mixture to two turns out (or even three) from slightly seated. Next set the idle screw setting so that it is pushing against the engine block and that the cam scribes are about 1/4" below the eccentric screw slot. Just to be sure, remove the air cover on the carbs and check to make sure the throttles on both carbs are actually slightly open.

This should get the motor started and if it does, then you can set you idle air screw settings accordingly and also your idle screw setting.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
A weak starter will do that as well as it cannot keep up when the cylinder goes over TDC. Also a dragging starter might just be barely turning the motor fast enough the get the magneto to the coming in speed where the coils generate enough energy to make a good spark.
In airplanes the mags often have a retard system that retards the timing and when it has held the magneto back so many degrees it trips the latch/spring and it snaps over the gap and fires the plugs with a nice fat spark.
You have to spin the engine over 300 rpm to get a good start.

Murph007

Cadet
It's been awhile but wanted to thank everyone's input. I brought the boat to a marine mechanic that got the motor running but "badly". Ends up the number 1 and 4 pistons are way below compression numbers. I was planning to sell the boat in the spring so I decided to list the boat "as is" and recently sold it. I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Sea Ray 225 Weekender.

topgun3690

Ensign
Yeah, with 2 cylinders low like that probably a good move to sell it if you were not interested in doing the work or throwing more money at it. What kind of engine is on the new boat?

Jiggz

Captain
Congrats on the new (to you) boat! I'm presuming it is an inboard type motor?