Ercoa Pontoon boat how to drain tube??

Drewzr14

Cadet
My starboard pontoon tube/log started filling with water. There isn't a drain plug but there are two inlets ontop of the tube near the center (which is why I assume there is a front and back compartment).

The inlets have a red plastic cap on them. Inside these inlets is a smaller hole large enough for a twig to fit in but too small for a hose (at least the hoses I had on-hand which were pretty small). I can blow into the inlet without feeling resistance but that air is forced right back in my face as soon as I quit.

Does anyone know the purpose of these inlets?? I was hoping to siphon the water out of these inlets and then rig up air to them to find the leak(s)

I have attached a picture for your reference..

Any help would be "GREATLY" appreciated..

Best Regards
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
They are vents to equalize pressure so your toon logs do not fatigue crack. The red plug is so you don't sink if you get a leak on the bottom

Drop a 1/4" hose down the vent port. I usually use a bit of lead wrapped around the tube. Get the tube to the bottom of the log. Then using an air hose, a blow-off nozzle and your hand to seal, apply a bit of pressure.

The pressure will push the water up and out the hose

Once that is done, find the leaks in your toon logs. Most likely where the M- brackets are welded. And get them repaired

Drewzr14

Cadet
Thank you for the quick reply..
I backed the pontoon up a steep grade.. I can hear the water peculating to the front of the log.. There is a pinhole leak where water is coming out at the front bottom of the log. There must be an additional leak as I find it hard to believe that much water would come in from such a small hole ??

The red vent caps appear to have a 1/8" inch hole in the center of the cap (well whats left of them.. very deteriorated). I assume you would not want to cap them completely as that would defeat the purpose of them venting the tube.

I will try your ideas,.. thank you
Andy