Epoxy sticks after ethylene glycol?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I read the posts about using ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) to stop rotting, but what does that do to the ability of epoxy to stick? It seems like there would be a sticky film on the wood. The places I would like to use it do not allow wiping off the film since they are down into wooden areas.<br /><br />Thanks

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Epoxy sticks after ethylene glycol?

Absolutly NOT, NOTHING will stick to it if you do! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bondo

Staff member

Catch-22..... Ain't It ?????<br /><br />What are you trying to Patch ????

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have some rot and moisture down in the 3" x 3" step that supports the front end of the I/O engine. (It is thick fiberglass over wood) I am doing some wood replacement but am not willing to spend the time to pull the engine and completely re-do the inside of the boat. I'm after 2-4 more years of service out of a 20 yr. old boat.<br /><br />I drilled a bunch of holes into the wood and have a fan blowing into them to dry out the wood. Then I'll pour in some CPES to kill the rot, and then epoxy to fill the holes.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like a Plan......<br />I bet it'll get you Twice the Time you're looking for.......

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used a product called "Git-Rot" before. It's an epoxy but extremely thin to penetrate deeper into the wood. I haven't used it on an engine mount.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the CPES from rotdoctor.com. The stuff sounds a lot like what you describe. It's the consistency of deisel fuel, and their tests show no rot after use. You have to get the wood quite dry first, and allow the CPES to evaporate for a few days.