Epoxy Question - Maine Weather &%*^$ ARRGH!

rml

Seaman
Forecast today in Southern Maine was showers in the AM then clear...we had some showers then it cleared. I double checked the radar on intellicast and it showed clear...so I buttered up the plywood with epoxy and laid a patch of mat onto it then rolled it all out and BOOM! the black clouds came rolling over the mountains and I tarped everything up, then the wind kicked in...then the rain...big fat freakin' rain drops - and lots of them, buckets! I got most of the top back on the boat but a decent amount of water got onto the epoxy (1:1 ratio, about 30-45 minutes into the cure). Sorry for the vent, but I do have a question as this is my first epoxy project (live & learn :mad: )...is the job toast or will the epoxy be o.k.?

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Epoxy Question - Maine Weather &%*^$ ARRGH!

Should be o.k. if it "skinned" up before it got wet. Put a fan on it to dry off the remaining water(If it's done raining of coarse!)

rml

Seaman

Thanks! I think it did skin over, except in that spot where I stepped trying to hold the top and tarp up! Full moon + newbie 'glasser + maine weather = a big mess. Thanks again Quantumleap, going to get the fan right now...<br /><br /> --rml

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I think you'll be OK, even if it wasn't completely skinned. It will likely have some surface marring but I expect you had intended to sand it anyway. I don't think there will be a problem with the set though. That is all as long as water didn't somehow get under your matt. If it did then break out the grinder.<br /><br />Thom

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Try this. The next time you mix up some epoxy, leave a little in the bottom of the container and before it even startas to gel, pour about an inch of water in on top of it and just let it set twenty four hours, then pour the water out and see what ya got.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

BillP

Captain

Epoxy can be applied underwater to do repairs so rain shouldn't do much. I've had rain hit wet epoxy and make penny size round spots that thinned the coating. Otherwise it cured hard. Thickened epoxy (like used underwater) probably wouldn't have the thinning affect.

rml

Seaman

Thanks to all for the replies and sorry for the panic. The job came out ok - this stuff (the epoxy) is fantastic! I liked it so much I did some more today. I'm hooked, although this was just a partial floor repair, the experience will prove to be helpful when the whole deck gets replaced in the fall.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br /> --rml