Epoxy primer over gel coat

brianteel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have decided to use epoxy primer a bottom coat to redo the hull it will always be trailered and never really in the water for more than 24 hours.I have done a lot of searching and a bit of a loss when it comes to this stuff. I have inspected the hull from the inside (removed the flooring and all paint) and all the cracks in the gel seem to be age. What I would like to do is coat it with an epoxy primer to fill these cracks and then paint over. Interlux 404/ 414 Prime Coat Kit seems like the right stuff but really no idea. I want to try to get this ordered for the weekend so any help would be great.

paintdude96

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Epoxy primer over gel coat

if it was me i would use a slick sand by evercoat the part number is fib100709 or just fib709 it is a spray able bondo or the is something else called feather fill those are really good high build primers and when it comes to the paint i would use the dupont marine paint it covers alot better then interlux and algrip and u can wet sand and buff it and still be under warranty by dupont unlike most marine paint where do u live try to call ur local automotive/marine paint supplier or you can call me tomorrow and i can give you some prices i live in Sav. GA 912-447-1078 john is my name good luck

brianteel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That stuff is good for underwater line? seems to be a big issue with this stuff.

paintdude96

Seaman Apprentice

as long as you dont keep it in the water over 24 hours

brianteel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

VC Performance Epoxy from Interlux, how about that stuff

paintdude96

Seaman Apprentice

i dont know anything about interlux i just deal with the dupont marine and dupont's imron paint but the slick sand and feather fill are some really good primers

paintdude96

Seaman Apprentice

i just know about my dupont stuff and one of my customers did a yacht name high banks for the CEO of nascar and they use nothing but our dupont stuff