Epoxy paint vs. Epoxy resin

backlashed

Seaman
Would a good quality epoxy floor paint be as good as epoxy resin to water proof new plywood decking? I know I could use it over resin, but I'm not sure I could eliminate it.
The company I work for is cleaning house, and was throwing away two gallons of Iron Clad epoxy floor paint from Sherwin Williams. Its probably 4 or 5 years old, but never open. It's already real close to the color I want, so I thought I'd take it SW, and see if its still good, and have them lighten the tint slightly.

I'd also like to know if there is something that can be added to paint for anti skid, that's easier on bare feet than sand.

Thanks

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Epoxy paint vs. Epoxy resin

for antiskid additive go to lowes, hd, check the paint dept its there not sure if its what your after tho, we used a product called shark skin on our patio, not as gritty as sand pretty good traction booster in the wet. think that came from hdepot.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would a good quality epoxy floor paint be as good as epoxy resin to water proof new plywood decking?
It depends, how waterproof do you need? Epoxy paint is a pigment made more durable with epoxy in the mix, epoxy resin is an adhesive that also has very excellent structural qualities when used in combination with fiber reinforcement, such as glass, kevlar, or carbon fiber. If you,re covering a wood boat hull it would be epoxy resin and structural fabric, hands down. If you are sealing a marine plywood cabin deck, paint. But, epoxy resin would make one heck of a durable floor finish as well.

What does the SW website say this grade of paint is intended for? Is it formulated for a marine environment? Is it made to completely seal or is it a top coat for something else that's the all-around sealer? Is it ok for wood or just concrete??

I'd also like to know if there is something that can be added to paint for anti skid, that's easier on bare feet than sand.
Many of the marine paint makers - and probably other paint companies too - make a ground rubber additive (probably recycled tires) compatible with many types of paint. I've seen some brands that come in different grades of texture, from oatmeal lumps to fine sand-size. RTI

Look it up at Jamestown Distributors. [ http://www.jamestowndistributors.com ]

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Would a good quality epoxy floor paint be as good as epoxy resin to water proof new plywood decking? I know I could use it over resin, but I'm not sure I could eliminate it.
Thanks

Epoxy resin and epoxy paint are for 2 different applications. If you are replacing a rotted fiberglass deck you want to at least put a few layers of csm and 1708 biax on her to give her strength. you would use the 1708 to at least tab her into the gunwale.

Epoxy resin is not very UV resistant so you need to paint her after glassing. a cheaper way to go might be using Poly resin.

I don't know about the Iron Clad paint, being UV or not you can probably get that info off their website I used it in my shop it held up ok but it was also indoors.
Another thing to check is its shelf life I think epoxy is 1 maybe 2 years max