Epoxy and Aluminum

geomarq

Cadet
Does anyone know how well epoxy will bond with aluminum? I have an aluminum boat and the hull has some hair-line stress cracks near the floor/seam area.<br /><br />I know West Marine sells an aluminum etch preperation kit but I was wondering if I could get awat without it and just lay some cloth and resin over the aluminum.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Epoxy and Aluminum

I didn't have much luck. I used a wire wheel on a drill to rough up the bow section of my Sea Nymph a couple of years ago. I used West System epoxy with a couple layers of cloth to seal the center seam and part of the bottom to repair leaky rivets on the front half of the hull. It looked great but didn't last through the first season. I don't know if it was the pounding or just the flexing of the aluminum but it all delaminated. You might want to contact the manufacturer of West System epoxy and get there opinions. <br /><br />I used Marine-tex on a puncture and some dents on the side panel near the transom and its held up great. Maybe Marine-tex would work better.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Epoxy and Aluminum

I would be tempted to clean the area with etchant, then use autobody panel adhesive. :)