Engine Won't Turn Off - Repeatable Behavior

BOOSTER-X

Cadet
In Sept of last year, I acquired a 1984 16.5' Bayliner Cuddy with a 1974 Johnson 115 motor. The engine sat up against a tree for about 4 years and I had a guy rig it for me. To his amazement, the engine started and ran well. I'm new at this and only had the boat out 3 times last fall.<br /><br />EVERY TIME I took it out, after running it out in the bay for 10 - 15 min, when I tried to turn it off....nothing. I tried to choke it with the choke switch....no sound, no electromechanical choke. So I would take the cowling off and physically move the choke to kill the engine. <br /><br />Of course, now with my 12 and 13 yr. old sons and our puppy with me I thought to myself, "Gee, I wonder if it will start now?" And here's where my blood turned to icewater...you guessed it....nothing from the key start and no sound with the choke switch.<br /><br />I proceeded to grab and squeeze together, move around and/or wiggle every wire and connection, etc, visible with the cowling off. And then....tried to start it....and it started. So then, I decided not to turn it off again and just run it till the gas was gone.<br /><br />I say this was repeatable in my subject line, because this happened basically EXACTLY the same way each of the 3 times I took it out.<br /><br />After the 2nd time, I did a thorough search for solutions on this site. Most of the solutions/suggestions consisted of checking wire connections and checking for ground wire problems. So I unscrewed, cleaned and re-tightened every wire I could find. On my 3rd launch, I was hoping I wouldn't have this happen again, but....same EXACT scenario. Of course this time, I took my wife with me and she couldn't deal with the smell, since I wouldn't shut the engine off after the "take the cowling off and wiggle the wires/connections" technique.<br /><br />Sorry this took so long (I wanted to give you all the details/clues) but my questions are...<br /><br />Has anyone one else had a similar experience?<br /><br />Could it be the key switch?<br /><br />Would the choke not work with a bad key switch?<br /><br />Are there any quick ways one person can use a regular multitester to eliminate or pinpoint a specific connector, wire, etc.<br /><br />Thanks for any help you can give.<br />Andrew

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Won't Turn Off - Repeatable Behavior

Probably bad keyswitch, and yes it's possible that the choke switch is bad as well, since it's tied into the switch also. Probably a case of internal corrosion. Get the OEM specific manual for that motor, it'll help you in the long run.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds to me like the key switch. But I'm just a noob here. I'm sure someone will get you in the right direction here shortly. BTW, mine does just the opposite sometimes, wont start its not repeatable. I'm gonna replace the key switch shortly.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya see, I told ya someone would help you. He even types faster than me.

BOOSTER-X

Cadet

Several people here have also suggested the key switch. I keep having a problem wrapping my head around the fact that the choke switch would stop functioning at the exact same time the key switch malfunctions. That would also mean that all my wire wiggling didn't really make the difference?!? It was the same EVERY time...the key switch and choke wouldn't operate until I took the cowling off and did all that. Now that I think about it....it also did the EXACT same thing when I was flushing the motor out in my driveway.<br /><br />Its an OLD motor, key switch, choke switch, throttle contol, etc. I'll be using this boat for a couple of years so if it will solve the problem, I'd be happy to replace it. I'm just trying to not spend bucks on something I don't need to.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The key switch is a good place to start. I you have a voltmeter, there are some simple checks you can do. When choking (push the key in) the engine, the purple wire is energized at the key switch. You should be able to measure 12 volts at the choke solenoid. When you turn the engine off, the key switch sends ground through the black/yellow wire to one of the the power packs to shut the engine off. All of these wires connect through the big red plug inside the cowl. You might want to get the service manual from Ken Cook Co, in Milwaukee. It has a wiring diagram in it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

unplug the big red plug, this is the wiring harness. make sure all the contacts are clean and not corrided, both male and female. your problem may lie right hear. when you wiggle the wire you are probably making the connection. also check the wiring harness for any wearing, or rubbing. Highly recommend omc manual from kencook.com you can also look at detailed diagrams of your engine at brpevinrude.com

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Kinda agree with tashasdaddy. You got a connection problem there. The plug is a good place to start. There should be a fuse holder right close to the red plug....might take it apart and check it. Make sure the fuse is making good connection in the holder.<br /><br />Another good place to look is right where the wiring harness enters the lower pan. This point will flex with engine movement. Move the harness around a little there...up/down/sideways...see if the problem leaves at any certain point.