Engine wont Start

ryanmul57

Cadet
can anyone help me trouble shoot why my engine will not turn over, i swear ive done everything. 73’ 850 Merc

Attachments

• 73983182592__AA94B868-E168-4585-9665-FF4747AC2661.MOV
    833.9 KB · Views: 1

merc850

Commander
It's turning over it's just not starting, is this the method you're using?
1718140836861.pngyou have to push and hold the choke button.
A quick check to see if it's getting fuel is to tilt it all the way up and pump ball - gas should run out of the carbs.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And what is ---" everything " ----That you have done ?-----Is the distributor turning ?----Belt timing correct ?

ryanmul57

Cadet
replaced the distributor and is spinning, new sparks, starting motor, rectifier, carbs are clean, just did the piston stop method to time it correctly and yes I was holding the choke

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does it have Spark? Strong enough to jump a 7/16" gap?
Have you done a Compression Test?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove sparkplugs.----Put 7 or 8 drops of fuel into each cylinder.----Install sparkplugs.----try and start it.-----Report exactly what happens.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
How hot is your battery and how good are the connections. You need at least 10V across the starter contact to starter metal housing (or ground lug if starter has one, for the starter to spin the engine at 200+ RPM to get enough spark amplitude to ignite the spark plugs.

This should show up in your spark testing others have recommended if they fail.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A '73 Merc 850 should be battery-powered CDI ignition. It should have hot spark, regardless of cranking RPM, however, the choke requires good cranking speed to achieve a rich starting mixture.

The timing marks should be on the cowling support. Set the motor to TDC and remove the distributor pulley cover. The cast arrow on the distributor pulley should be pointing at the dot or dots on the timing decal. If not, slip the belt off and adjust.

Remove spark plugs 2,3,4 and install them into their wires, and ground their bases. Put a timing light on spark plug #1. Remove prop. Put motor in gear and advance the throttle until the carbs are ready to open, but still closed.

Now, jumper the starter solenoid, ignition on, and read the idle pickup spark timing. It should be 4-6* BTDC. If not, the brass-colored collar located about 1/2 up the distributor needs to be adjusted to that it is. There are two ss bolts with 5/16" heads which allow adjustment. Tighten them after you get the idle pickup timing correct.

Max spark advance s/b 21*BTDC. The stickers often say 23*BTDC, but gasoline was a bit better in 1973. Adjust the set screw above the distributor to set max spark advance, with the throttle wide open. Also set the throttle stop set screw to allow the carbs to be wide open, but not jammed against their stops.

Idle stop screw is set after carbs are adjusted to give no more than 1000RPM in neutral idle RPM.

Some other stuff to consider. At this age, the ignition wiring is often bad. The spark plug wires often arc to ground. The spark plug wires can have bad conductors as well. Triggers can be intermittent as well. Hopefully yours is good.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
"A '73 Merc 850 should be battery-powered CDI ignition. It should have hot spark........."

Well Chris, where does it get that "hot spark" if not from a good, well charged battery, and proper cabling capable of delivering the necessary voltage during the cranking load on the 12v system.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Mark, In my experience with that motor, the CDI unit will produce a good spark even if the voltage is down a bit when cranking. A good battery should maintain about 11.5VDC when cranking.

CDI units often feed 300V into the ign coil, producing 500K volts at the plugs. If the battery voltage is down a bit, maybe they produce 400K volts. Since magneto and coil/battery (non CDI) ignition usually produces about 20K volts at the plug, there is no issue. Now, if he has a bad wiring harness and gets zero volts on either the red or adjacent white wire, that is a different problem.

Dukedog

Captain
sounds to me like its turnin' over plenty fast ta start if its makin' voltage and gettin' any inklin' of fuel.. still think he needs ta squirt a little fuel in it when its turnin' over ta see what happens...............

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Mark, In my experience with that motor, the CDI unit will produce a good spark even if the voltage is down a bit when cranking. A good battery should maintain about 11.5VDC when cranking.

CDI units often feed 300V into the ign coil, producing 500K volts at the plugs. If the battery voltage is down a bit, maybe they produce 400K volts. Since magneto and coil/battery (non CDI) ignition usually produces about 20K volts at the plug, there is no issue. Now, if he has a bad wiring harness and gets zero volts on either the red or adjacent white wire, that is a different problem.
Don't mean to be a pessimist, but the last time I checked Mercury advertised a 40kV ignition system and that was without a plug (load) connected. I'll agree that 40kv can stand quite a bit of attenuation before it can't jump an 18kv plug gap.