Engine won’t start when I switch spark cables from cylinder 2 and 3 (3 is currently not firing)

JBQIII

Cadet
Would this mean I’m having issues with getting spark on cylinder 3? Or is there something else i I’m missing that would nullify what I think I’m seeing? Motor is 77 70HP 3 cylinder Johnson. I did the cylinder drop test to learn cylinder 3 is not firing. I recently did a carb rebuild to solve what I thought was the issue of it not starting/idling/running well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Cylinder not firing.-----Could be no spark. ---Or too much fuel.----Or no fuel.---Or no compression in the cylinder.----Or no compression in the crankcase.-----Does spark on all leads jump a gap of 3/8" or more on a test device , yes or no ?

JBQIII

Cadet
Cylinder not firing.-----Could be no spark. ---Or too much fuel.----Or no fuel.---Or no compression in the cylinder.----Or no compression in the crankcase.-----Does spark on all leads jump a gap of 3/8" or more on a test device , yes or no ?
Whoops. Cylinder 3 failed the spark tester test. It did not jump 7/16”. The other two did. So it makes me think coil? Not sure if power pack would power other two still if it was the issue

JBQIII

Cadet
Test sensor coils.-----Yes powerpack could fail on 1 cylinder.
Test sensor coils.-----Yes powerpack could fail on 1 cylinder.
Good to know. Do you know a good way to test sensor coils? I don’t have rhe “neon light tester” the manual asks for, although I could detach and switch coils 1 and 3 to see if they swap functionality as well? There may be a better way, but that’s the best idea I’ve got currently.

JBQIII

Cadet
Good to know. Do you know a good way to test sensor coils? I don’t have rhe “neon light tester” the manual asks for, although I could detach and switch coils 1 and 3 to see if they swap functionality as well? There may be a better way, but that’s the best idea I’ve got currently.
So today I checked rectifier for good measure (checks good) and then I switched ignition coils from the bottom (which wasn’t sparking) and middle by opening the power pack and switching their locations on the power pack (2 and 3) and then switched the coil on the spark plugs, so now the lower coil is wired to middle cylinder and the bottom cylinder is wired to the middle coil. It wouldn’t start after this, so it makes me think the coil is bad, since it would start with them in their normal locations.
If anyone sees any flaws in that logic, let me know please!