Engine to Outdrive Alignment Tool

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
The engine is back in the boat and I am about to embark on the gimbal/coupler alignment. I understand that I need the alignment tool to do that, which I was about to order but haven't yet, because I came down with the following idea. I have a brand new drive spline which has not yet been installed on the U-Joint, because I also replaced the U-Joints. Can I use that drive spline to make the alignment instead of the alignment tool?

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
the Marine Engine Alignment Tool is very tight .... then you have to adjust the motor mounts . when you also use that tool use the boat season then inspect the alignment .. tool is a very long tool . $60-120 ...
drive spline is not tight ...does not create the alignment .

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Roy, what is the boat season an alignment tool????? I have no clue what you mean by "boat season". Is that a brand name or different tool all together?

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed there are 2 versions of this alignment tool available. One is solid one piece and the other one is split in half and screws together. Which is the preferred tool?

Bodyshot

Cadet
I noticed there are 2 versions of this alignment tool available. One is solid one piece and the other one is split in half and screws together. Which is the preferred tool?
I'd get the one that is solid as you will be pounding on it to get the gimble bearing in as well as the bellows ring if its a bravo. Be carful when moving the engine around its easy to brake a drain plug off in a bung.