Engine Timing..

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Engine Timing..

I can't view pictures from work, but bent/broken push-rods can certainly have an effect on a cylinder's proper function! :eek:

I'd be concerned about finding out what caused that. Have you ever hydro-locked the engine?

At this point, for #4 piston, your best bet is just to play the "wait and see" game. More likely than not, it was the bent push-rods. Just check out what you can, and hope for the best.

Worst-case scenario; you get it all put back together, and you have a weak cylinder. If you can live with that, then there's no problem.

If you decide you can't live with it, the engine's going to have to be pulled, and you'll be no worse off then, than you are now. You can pull it now 'just in case', or you can wait and see if it really needs to be pulled. The heads will still be good as new.

My guess is that it will be fine after you get her back together. Even if it's not, 1 weak cylinder out of 16 shouldn't be too hard to live with, unless you're really really picky. ;)

But seriously, we need to figure out how you bent your push-rods.

Good luck!

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

Here's my two cents....

1. Water has obviously gotten into the engine somehow. Either the head gasket was leaking, the head is cracked, or the manifolds and risers were leaking. If the risers were leaking I personally would tend to think that all cylinders would be effected (if it's a center rise). Since only two cylinders were effected, I would lean towards the manifolds and/or the head gasket.

2. Since there is a possibility the heads could be cracked, I'm assuming the shop that reconditioned them manufluxed them as well? This is a fancy term for a process that checks for cracks.

3. If the heads didn't show any cracks and they have been rebuilt, proceed to assembly. Replace all push rods on that side of the engine as cheap insurance and obviously the head gasket as well. I would also thoroughly inspect the manifolds and risers. If they're new(er), replace the gaskets and be sure to use some sealant on both sides of the gaskets and torque to spec. If the manifolds and risers are older or suspect, replace them as cheap insurance.

4. Change the oil prior to firing up the engine. If all things appear to be in order, take out for the shake down run and follow up with another oil change after the first 2 hours of running.

Doug

Edit: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like the head gasket may have been leaking in the areas that I circled? Was the engine ever torn down in the past? Previous owner tore it down? Maybe they didn't torque the head down correctly? Just throwing some possibilities out.

Attachments

• Head pic.jpg
    Head pic.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Head pic2.jpg
    Head pic2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0

JCBoater

Cadet

Hello all,

She will be going back together this week I will update you all with the finding. :D

Thanks for all of the advice!!!:)

JCBoater

Cadet

Well the engine is back together. However when the engine is running I hear some chatter. It's just not as quite as it should be. I'm being told that the only thing it could be is the the cam and lifters. I did check the cam shaft to see if it was worn and I did not see anything. Any thoughts???