engine swap

skrudumra

Cadet
For those that don't remember me, I have a 1966 Aristocraft 19 equipped with a 2.5 four cylinder engine. I purchased the boat for $300 with trailer with intentions of replacing the four cylinder with a small Chevy V8 (327"). I soon learned that this was a bad idea and that the four cylinder was completely adequate for the 1500# boat.
What about a 4.3 V6? Has anyone accomplished this swap? Supposedly the engine is lighter than the original and makes 190 hp (the power limit of the hull). The engine is an inch shorter than the original, but also an inch or two wider.
If it would work, the engine is cheap, parts are cheap and plenty, and it would be quite a bit stronger than the original engine or even the optional straight six.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: engine swap

i don't know the answer cause i've never done what your proposing. however, i'll comment.
1. i thought max hp on a nineteen was 165? maybe 170 when aristocraft used the 470 power package in the nineteen. my '75 says 165 max on the max hp rating/capacity tag though.
2. just a guess, but i'd think yer gonna need the drive too. the gear ratio will be wrong i'd think (w/o looking). may need a gimble housing assy too. so. you'd need engine to prop to make it work well.
3. aristocraft never used (best i know) a v6 or v8 in any of their boats. i'd be questioning weather the sole will accept side mount motor mounts? (does the board under the sole used to mount the inline engines expand far enough to the side to get the board and not just the glass to be mounting the motor mounts too) best i know. all the engines aristocraft used were ft. mount's, like the 4 and 6 cyl. inline engines use.
4. if it's over powered with to much hp. insurance may be hard to come by.

on a positive note. i do believe that from reading past posts here on iboats that arsitocraft had put a 350 in a nineteen. if i remember right it was stern heavy and scary to drive. but really fast though i don't remember what speed they got out of it. maybe contact aristcraft and see what they have to say.

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmmm, I dont like to touch posts or questions like this for a few reasons. The boat was not designed for it, the coast guard did not allow it, and your insurance wont cover you. Starting with the first, ziggy hit a few key points. mounting it can be concerning where the mounts hit, you have to widen the engine bay, ie cutting the seats, and yes you will need a new drive. secondly, the boat is not rated for it. in its class, the max rated HP is just that, which leads me to the third problem, ins. if you hurt someone or get hurt, there will be no insurance as you clearly overated the boat against the Max CG rating.

H20wens

Seaman

I'll pile on too. Not a good idea for all of the reasons already mentioned. To elaborate on Ziggy's comments about the mount obstacles; you would have to perform MAJOR surgery to add some sort of mount/stringer grid to accept any "V" engine. As long as the hull is not water logged your 4-banger iron duke will be the engine of choice.