engine swap info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
May need to purchase a new motor for my 1996 Monterey 230 Explorer. Currently has a 4.3 6 cyl, with Volvo dual prop. Think I may want to upgrade to a 5.7l V-8.

Is this possible? And is there a lot of extra I have to do to make this work?

kenny nunez

Captain
If you are planning on using a complete marine engine package it should bolt in with no issues. Make sure that the wire harness plug is the same as the old engine, the exhaust hoses may be a different diameter your tachometer is probably adjustable the throttle should be no problem. Of course a new set of propellers will be needed. What about the engine compartment as far as length, is there enough room ? Will the added weight effect the trailer tongue and make it too light? I am sure I have not thought of everything but this should be a start.

rricher

Recruit
May need to purchase a new motor for my 1996 Monterey 230 Explorer. Currently has a 4.3 6 cyl, with Volvo dual prop. Think I may want to upgrade to a 5.7l V-8.

Is this possible? And is there a lot of extra I have to do to make this work?
I realize your post is several years ago but I'm considering a similar swap in a 1997 Sea Arrow of a Volvo 5.7L V8 for the Volvo 4.3L V6 now in it, though not changing the outdrive , just the engine. How did your project go?

Status
Not open for further replies.