Engine stalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhnnyboz

Cadet
Everyone,

I've been dealing with an issue For a while now.

I have a 50 hp 2- cycle Mercury.

When I'm driving (full throttle is most prominent) the motor will begin to stutter and stall until I pump the bulb then it revs back up and drives normal.

I have rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced the anti siphon valve, primer bulb, checked the fuel pick up screen... And everytime I go out it happens again. I just need to know where to start to look or if anyone has had a similar problem.

Thanks in advance

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sucking air for a SWAG. From where? cracked fuel lines, could be internally or between tank and engine. Since you replaced the FP and assume you did it correctly that eliminates the other obvious source of your problem.

T-rain

Cadet
Im having the same problem? I recently bought a 40hp Mercury Rocket. Rebuilt carb on it. was starting fine on the trailer. Took it out on the lake, it ran a short distance then started sputtering and died. The only way I could get it to start was to pump the bulb. It would start, run a little then die again?? I think we have the same or similar problem??

T-rain

Cadet
On the trailer it would start easily with a flick of the key? I bought it recently and it had been sitting since2015, think some trash or just worked free when I got it on the water and ran it??

T-rain

Cadet
Slight update. I rebuilt the fuel pump. Engine turns over and over but not starting. I can spray a tiny amount of starting fluid in the carb and it will fire right up and keep starting up. But I can leave it for 5-10 minutes and it will do the same thing; wont start unless i put a tiny shot of starting fluid. Once I do that if starts like a charm?? Any ideas???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old thread hijack. Read the Help Tip.

Squeeze the bulb more until firm.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.