engine stalls when shifting back on forth a lot

bucksy99

Cadet
I know the topic of engine stalling has been discussed in general terms before, however my problem might be more unique.
Everything is fine when I take the boat out and shift, but upon return to the dock at a fairly busy canal, I have to shift back and forth a lot of times. I am a fairly new boater, which also doesnt help...
After shifting back and forth for a while, the engine starts stalling (again while everything was all day long).
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

1995 Stingray 659ZP, 5.7 Mercruiser, Alpha One, Gen 2

dubs283

Vice Admiral
could be the lower cable hanging up and causing the shift interrupt switch to stay engaged too long

may be time to replace the lower cable

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
You are probably shifting too slowly.This will cause a stall.Shift in a definite manner.Dont use finesse.Charlie

bucksy99

Cadet
You are probably shifting too slowly.This will cause a stall.Shift in a definite manner.Dont use finesse.Charlie
Thanks Charlie. I definitely shift very slow. However should that cause the engine to stall ever?

Thanks man!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
thanks a lot for the response
does this mean the cable stretched over time, can it be adjusted or does it need to be replaced?

thanks
The cable wears a slot into the housing. This requires periodic replacement.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Charlie. I definitely shift very slow. However should that cause the engine to stall ever?

Thanks man!
Ayuh,...... Never slow shift an Alpha, 'n Yes, it could very well the the root cause of yer "problem",.....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Slow shifting results in the shift dog inside of the lower unit rounding off the teeth. That grinding you ear is that happening. Shift quick, but not so far as throttling up. Lower shift cables need replacement once in awhile. I'm 7 years into my last replacement, maby I'm lucky? dunno.

bucksy99

Cadet
Slow shifting results in the shift dog inside of the lower unit rounding off the teeth. That grinding you ear is that happening. Shift quick, but not so far as throttling up. Lower shift cables need replacement once in awhile. I'm 7 years into my last replacement, maby I'm lucky? dunno.
thanks a lot for your comment. This is only my second year boating and I realize how little I know....
I did try to adjust the cables a little but it is still the same. I still dont quite understand what causes the actual stalling though when shifting. Is it the killswitch itself that engages too early because the cable is stretched?

Thanks again.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...I'm 7 years into my last replacement, maby I'm lucky? dunno.
Are you using genuine cables? Mine's still original, and coming up on 15 years old, and still working like the day it was made.

Chris........

bucksy99

Cadet
Are you using genuine cables? Mine's still original, and coming up on 15 years old, and still working like the day it was made.

Chris........
I believe so. The boat is 20 years old. Everything looks like in good shape. Engine is well taken care off.
Could is also be the short cable that goes to the outboard?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The test is to disconnect the lower shift cable from the shift linkage at the motor end and hand shift it. Must be butter smooth.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thanks man!
Absolutely !!! The shift interrupt can engage when you hesitate during a shift.I am not telling you to shift quickly,however I AM telling you to shift in a definite manner with no hesitation .You will hear the difference.This sounds like your issue to me.Charlie

achris

More fish than mountain goat
'Grrrrrrr' is the wrong sound. 'Clunk' is the right sound. Dog clutches should be either in gear, or out of gear, and spend as little time as possible between gears!

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
thanks a lot for your comment. This is only my second year boating and I realize how little I know....
I did try to adjust the cables a little but it is still the same. I still dont quite understand what causes the actual stalling though when shifting. Is it the killswitch itself that engages too early because the cable is stretched?

Thanks again.
The cable is spring loaded where it attaches to the engine on a interrupt switch that allows the shift mechanism to disengage. Once it "reaches" its shift location there would be less force one the cable hopefully returning the switch to center. Maintaining tension on the cable such as slow shifting may allow the interrupt switch to become engaged which then fully stalls the engine instead of just partially causing the engine to "cough" for a sec.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
and it is very important to make sure RPM idle is within specs, while OD is in water and under load.