engine spitting

jrc27

Seaman
i am wondering why first thing in the morning when i fire up my johnson 150gt it seem to spit(not literally, idles real rough sounds like a coughing sound) until it warms up. once i start to troll out the no wake it seems fine

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: engine spitting

Do a search here, because I think I read sometihng way back (it'll still be here too), about these motors doing this new outta the crate, as part of thier "nature".Then again, consistant "sneezing" is a sign of a lean mixture. Try turning the mixture screw open an eighth-turn each.<br />Has it allways sneezed like this since you've had it?

jrc27

Seaman

where would i find the knob to change the slow idle mixture to make it richer?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There is no adjustment.<br /><br />If it idles fine once it "warms up" then at least we know its not a sync and link problem. Most V6 crossflows are a bit "cold natured". <br /><br />Heres what I do with mine - when I start the motor I have the throttle where it will idle at about 2000. If the motor starts to die I push in the primer and "flood" it until it gets down to about 1000 then release the primer. Once or twice usually does it. Once everything in the intake runners and reeds gets "wet" it should idle good.<br /><br />The other thing is to make sure you are using fresh 87 octane fuel, good oil and Champion plugs. And keep in mind that its not unusual to have to rejet the idle circuit on older motors for todays fuel.<br /><br />It may simply be time to decarb also.<br /><br />Good luck!