Engine sneezes on start, runs for a few on idle, then shuts off

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I have a 1983 suzuki dt85 2 stroke. It starts easy now and when it’s running it sounds like it’s running/idling decent. However after a few min (5-10) at idle it will shut off after a hard shake and then sneeze when starts back up, then repeats this process. Also when I look at the bucket of fresh water I’m running it in I find this stuff. Any suggestions on how to get this back on the water?

Attachments

• 98B3403C-901B-4A3E-9C1B-B23AC2F2BF44.jpeg
    98B3403C-901B-4A3E-9C1B-B23AC2F2BF44.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Ok so I have a 1983 suzuki dt85 2 stroke. It starts easy now and when it’s running it sounds like it’s running/idling decent. However after a few min (5-10) at idle it will shut off after a hard shake and then sneeze when starts back up, then repeats this process. Also when I look at the bucket of fresh water I’m running it in I find this stuff. Any suggestions on how to get this back on the water?
Usually a sneeze means a lean situation which in this case could mean a dirty carb.

I believe the stuff your seeing in the bucket is from unburnt fuel when you were trying to start it earlier with bad wiring and fouled plugs.

It should clear up once you take the motor out for a good spin around the lake.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok and would the lean fuel situation cause it to run for a bit then turn off?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
And honestly it looks a little rich
Read above again and it should make sense. A lean sneeze or if it's running lean is hard on a 2 stroke motor. Not sure it is, just going by your explanation.

The motor will look like it's running rich (smoking) because of you trying to start it with no spark/fouled plugs. Exhaust housing is probably full of oil/gas.

I will let others give you their opinion.

Good luck with your motor.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Read above again and it should make sense. A lean sneeze or if it's running lean is hard on a 2 stroke motor. Not sure it is, just going by your explanation.

The motor will look like it's running rich (smoking) because of you trying to start it with no spark/fouled plugs. Exhaust housing is probably full of oil/gas.

I will let others give you their opinion.

Good luck with your motor.
Ya I agree with you on that but I’m saying after disconnecting the fuel line the mixture seems pretty rich, not from how it’s running which I agree does seem kind of lean

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A two stroke carb'd outboard motor is much like a multi-seat bicycle.

If one person goes without enough water and food and the others get what they need, the motor may run for a while but eventually the person collaspes and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

It doesn't matter if 3 out of 4 cylinders have fuel, if one isn't getting enough fuel that cylinder will run lean and that's extremely damaging on two stroke motors because they depend on fuel for lubrication.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand, the carb is clean though when I went to prime the bulb, I did notice that I got some gas on my hands. Is it possible do you think that air is making its way in and starving the engine? What else could I check?

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay sorry to keep blowing everyone up but here’s where we’re at. I noticed the hose was loose tightened it down and it started and idled fine in a bucket. Today, it starts and idles fine in the bucket. I bring it to the marina and start it under load. It dies after a few seconds of running but starts right up. After it warmed up I put it in reverse and it died. It started up. I put it in forward and it went in for a second and died.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I understand, the carb is clean though when I went to prime the bulb, I did notice that I got some gas on my hands. Is it possible do you think that air is making its way in and starving the engine? What else could I check?
Change out primer bulb.Shouldnt be any fuel outside the bulb.The inside flapper may be shot in it as well.I would recommend you get 2 cans of Seafoam.1 aerosol and 1 pour type can.Do a proper decarb with the aerosol.Do it on a warm engine.After that,Hook up portable gas tank with super concentrated fuel. 1 gal fuel(gas and 2 stroke oil) with 1 entire can of Seafoam.Let it idle for as long as you can.Then pull your plugs and clean and gap them and see if any improvement from there.Charlie

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Change out primer bulb.Shouldnt be any fuel outside the bulb.The inside flapper may be shot in it as well.I would recommend you get 2 cans of Seafoam.1 aerosol and 1 pour type can.Do a proper decarb with the aerosol.Do it on a warm engine.After that,Hook up portable gas tank with super concentrated fuel. 1 gal fuel(gas and 2 stroke oil) with 1 entire can of Seafoam.Let it idle for as long as you can.Then pull your plugs and clean and gap them and see if any improvement from there.Charlie
Thanks Charlie, the plugs are all new and the bulb is new, will try the seam foam now.
How did it run for you last season ?
It wasn’t mine last season it’s new to me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No surprise to me that it is a new purchase.-----Post your compression numbers.-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads.-----Clean carburetors.-----Test oil injection system if equipped with that.-----Change water pump impeller before your first launch.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got carb professionally cleaned. Actually funny story went to run sea foam and my bulb failed, would not pull gas from the can. Just ordered a compression tester and spark test kit. Will go buy a new bulb now too I guess. It’s got a strong tell tale. And carb was professionally cleaned last week. Update tonight/tomorrow

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thanks Charlie, the plugs are all new and the bulb is new, will try the seam foam now.

It wasn’t mine last season it’s new to me.
Sorry I should have been more specific about the plugs.After a proper decarb ,which is the process of spraying Seafoam into each cylinder and letting sit for 30 mins or so and starting motor which will look like a crop duster.When smoke clears repeat the process and as soon as you start the motor after the 2nd treatment ,run the heck out of it for a solid 10 mins at high rpm. THEN you will need to clean those new plugs.Charlie

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I fixed it the number two cylinder was having a mixture issued, will let you guys know as soon as I get it out on the water