Engine Serial Number

Rstorrie

Seaman Apprentice
Google search shows where to locate a serial number tag on my Mercruiser, but I have looked all over the engine and cannot find the serial number tag.

Mercruiser 230 V-8 w/Thunderbolt IV. Block bell housing says GM

Any other tips for finding the serial number of the engine?

Rstorrie

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, finally found a stamping on the block in the front of the engine buried under some cooling hoses. M02179VP, unfortunately I have looked up all the engine codes for all the GM engine block codes and they do not list a M0 series, but dance around it with ML, MK. MN. MP. what the?

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mercruiser 230 V-8 w/Thunderbolt IV. Block bell housing says GM

I think pretty much every Mercruiser engine has a GM casting number on the flywheel housing. Doesn't mean anything for Merc Serial Number purposes.

I've owned 4 Merc V8 engines and they've all had the tag on the starboard side of the engine, just above the starter. They also list them on the valve covers as well as the plastic carburetor covers (that cover the flame arrestor).

scoflaw

Ensign
If your looking for this serial number for easier parts look up, you can just insert a generic number on the merc lookup site.

If the metal tag is gone this would be the way to go. There's a casting number on the block behind the distributor port side about where a bellhousing would bolt up.

Rstorrie

Seaman Apprentice
No metal tag anywhere on the engine or around the starter on the block. There is a thin metal sticker plate on the top of the outdrive on the outside of the boat that is barely readable that starts with OB*******, There is a stamping in a block lip on the starboard side of the engine between the valve cover and water pump that starts with MO*****.

The flame arrestor states Mercruiser 230 Thunderbolt IV Ignition, but that could have been from another boat, or engine I suppose. The reason I want to find out, is the parts go for a serial number range and have had a few ordered parts not work on or fit the motor.