Engine sensor

1989 mercruiser 5.0L engine senor Old sensor has two terminals one with a red and white wire and one with two green and white wire . New sensor has only one green and white wire what do you do with the second green and white wire that goes from the block to the shift interrupter switch Thanks Moon

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Those sensors will get you every time. What sensor are we talking about :noidea:

Got a serial number for the engine? It always helps to have specifics. :thumb:

Probably best to have the Moderators move this thread to the Mercruiser forum.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Does that motor have the electric fuel pump?

MerCruisers of that vintage normally have a warning system that detects overheat and no oil pressure. They will have pressure and temp switches to run the warning system alarm.

If you have oil pressure and temp gauges, you will have sensors for those as well.

I need to hook up the green and white wire from the shift interrupter switch. It went to the engine sensor in the distributor with old sensor New one has no terminals Only 1 green and white wire coming out of it . Thanks for your help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The new sensor will also come with a 'conversion kit' for use in place of the old '2 wire' sensor. That kit will enable you to connect the 2 white/greens, from the module and the shift interrupt, together with a nut and bolt, that then plugs into the white/green from the new sensor.

See picture below.

Chris.....

sensor.JPG

Last edited:
Thank You for your help. Now I know what’s going on. When I received my new sensor there was no conversation kit. Thanks again for your help Moon