Engine revs when I turn

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me why my engine revs when I turn. I have a 2005 Monterey 180fs with the 3.0 Volvo Penta. The boat runs awesome but when I get into my turns the engine revs and it sounds like the prop is "breaking loose" (cavitation?) in the water. You definately notice a loss of power when it happens. I can correct it by throttling back but I should not have to do that. Any advice?

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine revs when I turn

Read up on ventilation vs. cavitation. They're different. May need to trim the drive down on some boats as you approach a sharp turn (not that I've experienced this myself).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Your gathering more air under the boat and into the prop, allowing it to rev higher. As stated, trim down or decrease the speed/sharpness of your turns.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That happens on some hulls, especially Deep Vee hulls with lots of deadrise at the stern. Flatter sterns don't do it as much. Take a look at the antiventilation plate while on plane, going straight. Then in a turn. let us know what you see.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Happens to me all the time when I'm doing a hard turn. Trimming down did help me this weekend but not totally. I have to slow down and trim all the way down then open up throttle.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will see what trimming down does for me. As for throttling back or not turning as sharp, I still have the problem at 2/3 throttle even if the turn is not very sharp. Will a hydrofoil help?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I will see what trimming down does for me. As for throttling back or not turning as sharp, I still have the problem at 2/3 throttle even if the turn is not very sharp. Will a hydrofoil help?

No. people use those to help a boat plane out.