Engine removal on 96 Sea Ray 210

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally sourced a decent mile vortec engine out of a 1997 z71 truck. had 133k miles. I need to pull the blown mercruiser 5.7 out of my sea ray in the up and coming weeks. i figure I will do things in small steps to make this a bit less daunting for me.

my buddy says when i am ready I can bring the boat over to his warehouse where they have a fork lift and he will help me lift it out.

my goal is to prepare everything i can before that which means I will make sure to do the following:

1. Remove outdrive
2. remove top engine cover
3. remove interior pieces surrounding the engine
4. disconnect the fuel lines water hoses, power steering, engine harness, exhaust system, throttle cables, shift cables etc..

my main thing I want to figure out is how to remove all of the interior walls that are boxing in my engine currently.

currently my engine is boxed in by a passenger bench seat/wall in front of the engine, 2 walls one on each side port and starboard creating a port and starboard storage area and then the transom.

i know the transom stays in place lol, the top engine cover is easy enough.. but those 3 other walls surrounding the engine, how do they come out? are there hidden screws in the carpet I just need to find and remove one by one and pull out each wall one at a time?

I looked on youtube but everything i find, people just show them pulling the engine and have already removed their interior pieces ahead of time but no one shows removing the interior prior to removing the engine. I assume because its self explanatory for the most part?

Im looking forward to getting this old engine out and sat next to the new one and all of the marine parts (accessories, exhaust manifold/risers, oil pan etc...) remove and transferred over to the truck 350 engine and installing all new gaskets, seals. freezeplugs etc...

i just purchased an edelbrock vortec intake manifold along with a edelbrock 1409 marine carb and edelbrock electric 7psi fuel pump

any thoughts or advice (things you learned from and would do differently perhaps or things not to assume) would be much appreciated

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Take pictures of the area where the engine is boxed in. Its hard to say without seeing anything.

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take pictures of the area where the engine is boxed in. Its hard to say without seeing anything.

Here's a picture that I found in my photo album that shows the two fiberglass walls one each side of the engine and then you can see there's a wall in front of the engine which is a separation between the cabin and the engine bay which has a bench seat in front of it.

Attachments

• photo340665.jpg
    photo340665.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo340666.jpg
    photo340666.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 0

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Does the seat box come out or is it part of the cap? Hard to tell from that angle but more than likely there is screws holding it together somewhere. If the seat box is not part of the cap i would start by removing that. Then see if you can see how or where it is attached.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all those components of your boat were screwed in place after the engine was installed. there should be screws buried in the carpet. use your finger tips to find them