engine oil drains very slow

wizard166

Cadet
I was trying to change the oil in my 2015 honda 20hp four stroke outboard. It didn't drain very fast and even though the dipstick indicated it was all but full, no where near 1.3qts of oil came out. I had the filler cap, check oil level screw and oil drain screw and filter all removed? The dipstick also still says the level is fine??

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
It sounds like you have not removed the crankcase drain plug and only removed the drain plug for the gear case.
Do you have an operating manual?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Yea, so there's two separate drain screws. One would be just below the engine, and that's for engine oil. The other is down near the skeg and that's for the gear oil (lube). You also have the top fill plug for the gear oil and that's somewhere near the ventilation plate.

Sounds like you haven't pulled the actual drain for the engine oil.

wizard166

Cadet
Yea, so there's two separate drain screws. One would be just below the engine, and that's for engine oil. The other is down near the skeg and that's for the gear oil (lube). You also have the top fill plug for the gear oil and that's somewhere near the ventilation plate.

Sounds like you haven't pulled the actual drain for the engine oil.
Thanx found the right plug

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
In case it's not too late, when re-filling the gearcase, remove both the top and drain plugs, attach the oil pump to the drain plug and fill it from the drain plug.