Engine not rotated for one year...how to handle?

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My AQ131A has not been started for over a year and so I want to hand turn it a few times before I do anything else to lubricate the cylinders.

Should I first pull the plugs and spray in some WD40 or something along that line?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Engine not rotated for one year...how to handle?

My AQ131A has not been started for over a year and so I want to hand turn it a few times before I do anything else to lubricate the cylinders.

Should I first pull the plugs and spray in some WD40 or something along that line?

WD-40, or a few drops of regular engine oil wouldn't hurt.

matt167

Captain

Pull the plugs, then you can add your favorite motor oil down the holes, or even TCW3 2 stroke oil in a pump can will work very well. rotate it by hand very slow, so the oil does not blow back out and make a mess. Then put the plugs back in. Change the oil and fire it up..

If your engine was tight for some reason, then Diesel fuel is what you would want to add, and let it sit a bit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A year is no problem, turn the key and start it up.

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, pull the spark plugs out, squirt a tablespoon full of oil into each cylinder and crank the engine over with the plugs out (No load). Put the plugs back in and go.