ENGINE MOUNTS

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Would it be wise to put ENGINE MOUNTS on a<br />1984 Bayliner With a 4 cyl. engine, there is no mount now. The engine overhang from the transom outboard unit. I'm redoing the tansom, and repairing some stringers, Any comments would be apriciated. THANK"S

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: ENGINE MOUNTS

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you saying that it is an inboard/outdrive setup, and that the engine is just hanging from its outdrive mounting system? Usually there is a mount at the front or on each side of the engine, and it/they are mounted to beds that are glassed to the hull. Are there any signs that any of this existed? Can you take pics? Do you know the model of the drivetrain (Mercuiser, Volvo Penta, OMC)?

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No engine mount was ever there. acording to the VOLVO manual they made some model with the engine <br />overhang.It is a VOLVO PENTA AQ125/270D I've had this boat since 1985 and used it for about 4 seasons with no problem. I'm now doing a complete restoration ( rot :( )<br /> <br />THIS IS A COPY FROM THE MANUAL<br /> <br />A few power plants for the Volvo Penta stern drive units are cantilevered out from the transom by the engine mounts Most engine Insta lation have front engine mounts. If the unit being serviced does not have the front engine mounts, NOW is the time to secure a chain, web strapping, or other suitable device to the engine lifting brackets. One bracket is Located on the port side forward and the other on the starboard side aft. If the unit has front engine mounts, back out the lag screws.

G DANE

Commander

Hi msmorto<br /><br />None of the 4 cyl Volvo gasonine engines have front mounts. I think adding them ( easy if you get the brackets from an old car ) would only ad vibrations thru hull.

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi G DANE<br /> I guess I'l leave it as is. <br /> It lasted 20 years.<br /> I guess it will last another 20

G DANE

Commander

The drive is bolted to the transom collar with two gigantic o-rings between. The orings provides a kind of suspension to the motor and drive. Like with almost all other Volvo great system !!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah, if it is designed that way, stick with it. They did it for a reason, but you definately want that transom to be strong and in good shape. Good luck....

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep.<br />I will Make the Transom as strong as I can. today I cut off the stringers.<br />tomorow (sunday) I will build new ones. I will build a new transom during the week .Next week-end if the weather is good I will install the new transom.