engine mounted steering

knarrman

Cadet
recently purchased 1982 Larsen 16' power boat w/ evinrude 90hp. steering has almost seized. has push-pull steering through tube. detemined that the prob lies in the mechanism within the tube...problem is not sure what should be repaired/cleaned/replaced....right now the only thing i can see is that the engine has to be removed to get the "insides" out....anyone knows what i'm talking about....i would appreciate the info...thanks

knarrman

Cadet
Re: engine mounted steering

correction: only reason for engine to be removed is...assuming...no room to pull mechanism out...

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Chances are that the steering cable will need to be replaced.Cleaning and greasing them will buy you some time,but sooner or later you will need to replace it.<br />If you don't have room to work it out,first put the engine all the way down,then put a block of wood under the skig on the ground,raise the trailer up till the engine is touching the block of wood.Next unbolt the engine and slide it over to the port side of the boat,then unbolt the steering cable and slide it out.<br />get a bunch of rags,a can of WD40,spray out the engine tube and clean all old grease out.Then turn to the steering cable and do the same.<br />Reinstall everything,grease it good,bolting the engine up,silcone your bolts and holes as installing them.You should be good to go.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Knarrman,<br /> Personally, I would not mess around with trying to repair an old Teleflex cable of questionable condition. I was once cruising home from a dinner out, in the dark, with a boat-load of friends and family when all of a sudden I couldn't turn to port. My steering had locked in one direction and the direction I had to go was to the left! I stopped the boat and puttered with it a bit and couldn't get it to work, so I disconnected the steering at the motor and steered it by hand the rest of the way home - idling the whole way, of course. The Teleflex was original to the boat and had cracks in the casing. It "looked" okay, so I had taped it up with electical tape and squirted a bunch of CRC into it as best I could. Lasted about a month. Fortunately for us, the gear on the rack had let go on a quiet night with little traffic in a wide open stretch of water. If it had happened on a busy day or near shore, well let's not go there.<br /> The new Teleflex took me about an afternoon to install and set me back a little over $200. If there's any question about yours, replace it. <br />- Scott

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Knarrman,<br /><br />Those steering cables are pretty tough, so don't worry about bending it too much to get it out of the steering tube. It might take a bit of muscle and body weight to work it out. <br /><br />After you get it out, clean the tube with a wire bottle brush. Then lube up the new cable with OMC's Tripple Guard grease before installing it. A tube of Trip. Guard grease is about $8 for the size of a big tooth paste tube. It is well worth it. The TGG will keep the aluminum part of the steering cable from corroding to the steering tube. <br /><br />One word of caution: Check the lock nuts on the steering link arm (both ends). If they are worn and dont turn hard or grip tightly, get new ones. They are cheap insurance from having your steering come apart while hauling butt across the water at WOT.<br /><br />Edit:<br /><br />Avoid buying used Teleflex steering part off of E-bay. I have read more than once that people spent good money on badly worn or jammed teleflex parts on e-bay.<br /><br />A new cable is not too expensive, about $60 or so depending on length. Go with new. You will be very happy.

knarrman

Cadet

thanks for all the advice.....will try it all....and especially thanks Mark42.....that's exactly what i was going to do.....now i know better...again thanks