Engine Install Tips Needed

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
Im replacing my Johnson 150 w/ and Evinrude 175. I have not yet determined if all holes line up or if I can use the same controls, however I am looking for some things that I should look out for or some tips to ensure I do things correctly. Thanks in advance!

D

DJ

Re: Engine Install Tips Needed

Give us the model years of each.<br /><br />The mountiung holes will definetely be the same. As for the controls, need years.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

The old is a 1983 150 Johnson and the newer one is a 1987 175. They are both V6s...Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Controls will work for sure....<br /><br />EDIT: Make sure you seal the bolt holes real well with 3M 5200 sealant, when you install the engine...

phatmanmike

Captain

as to what RB just said, about the bolt holes, i judt found this out the hard way last night, bao filled with water instantly.. its really sticky stuff, went out today and all is well again! long live 5200 3m

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

jacob<br /><br />Let us know how it goes and how your performance is after the swap. One other thing, I don't know what kind of boat you have, but you may have to move the motor to one side when removing to allow enough room to get the steering rod out of the tilt tube. Maybe, maybe not...