engine hot after being shut off

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mercruiser 3.0. while running it is consistently right on the money at 130degrees. When I stop I will usually run the engine for a few minutes as I have seen that suggested on this board in the past. When I fire it up after sitting for a few minutes (loading skiiers/tubers etc) it will be up around 150degrees. When I start it up, it quickly goes back down to 130 degrees.

Is that a problem?

I already plan on changing out the impeller this weekend since i've had the boat 2 years and never done it.

Anything else I need to look at?

sasto

Captain
Re: engine hot after being shut off

Marine engines and engine compartments generally always (oxy-moron) heat up after shutdown. That's their nature. I've ran a blower after shutdown to aid on cooling. I'm anxious to see what others say.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Normal operation. Changing the impeller isn't a bad idea, but I don't think you have any problem.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you have a problem my friend.

In the automotive industry we call it Heat Sink.
While the engine is running the coolant and air flow is dissipating the heat and when you shut it down all the residual heat builds up for a while until it radiates off on its own.
Happens with most engines

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's even possible to see a temporary temperature rise after coming down from a cruising speed, to idling.