Engine hesitation??

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
488
Re: Engine hesitation??

Yeah, it's a mystery. Spun prop is always a possibility of course, but it seems unlikely since he's swinging a brand new one.

True. I should have added that when my prop "spun out" the engine over-rev'd in the screaming banshee sense. I'm sure I lost all forward power, but with the engine screaming all I could do is back off the throttle (almost instantly). After the prop spun out, I could get to a certain RPM and keep a constant speed, but as soon as I exceeded the RPM, the prop spun out again.

So yeah, it does not sound like 7lazy77 has a spun prop (but I too chased the ventilation issue for a while before finally figuring out it was spun - via marks as I recall). I will be very curious to see how this problem gets resolved.

Eric
 

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
5,147
Re: Engine hesitation??

Hey lazy, didn't someone float the altitude theory last year? Was that theory ever adequately addressed?
 

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
226
Re: Engine hesitation??

Incoop: I can get my rpm's up to where they need to be 4500-5500, but the jar tends to happen near WOT at 5000-5500 rpm's. Being new to boating, I "assumed" I had the altitude corrected by changing the prop to a 11p from a 13p (per my local boat shop). Should I consider a lower pitch?

EricJRW: Your experience sure sounds very similar to what I am running into. My pontoon only has 2 toons. There is a little grim on them, but not much. What is the best way to mark a prop/hub that won't come off in the water? Would still like to try this just so I can be sure this is not my problem.
 

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
488
Re: Engine hesitation??

If you can see your cotter pin, that can be mark number 1. Make another mark (permanent marker, nail polish, touch-up paint pen, etc.) on the prop that lines up with the cotter pin. If that does not hold up, you could scratch a small line (the prop I was testing was old and very used, so I did not mind marring it, but with a pretty new prop I'd use a non-destructive mark). Also, I'm assuming all props have a cotter pin. Since the hub is splined it, will stay orientated to the shaft. You just need a mark on the prop to see if it moves relative to the hub. And you are right, it's an easy enough test to do to conclusively rule out a spun hub.

PS. I now seem to recall that some props have bendable tabs to lock the nut... If that's the case I suspect a mark (line) on the end of the shaft would suffice.
 
Last edited:

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
226
Re: Engine hesitation??

Sorry for the delayed response, we have had some pretty bad weather here lately that kept me from getting the toon out. I had a chance yesterday to get it on the water & try the spun prop test by marking the hub & prop with fingernail polish. The problem happened several times yesterday again & after checking the marks when I was done for the day, they were still in line, so this NOT the problem & I can cross this off of my list!

Sooooo, at this point I guess this leaves me with it being either a ventilation problem?? Any suggestions on what to do or how to confirm this???
 
Top