Engine getting sprayed when i plane HELP

dolla101

Cadet
Hi guys i new to boating and to this forum, i bought a boat about a 3 months ago and im addicted....:D ..hopefully you can help me with this problem im having. When i plane the i get alot of water spray ( more like a fountain of water) from the right side that shoots up and soaks the top of my outboard. Any ideas what is causing this????

m.qualls89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine getting sprayed when i plane HELP

Not sure what causes it, but my ob sends a large spray on both sides if i trim up to far. I have a whale tail though and im not sure if that affects it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Normally the cause is the motor being mounted to low in the water, or the wrong length shaft on the motor........ Post some dry land photos of the boat and motor with the motor in the down running position

dolla101

Cadet

Welcome to iboats.

Normally the cause is the motor being mounted to low in the water, or the wrong length shaft on the motor........ Post some dry land photos of the boat and motor with the motor in the down running position

thanks....i will post some pics soon ...bear with me though im in miami and tropical strom isaac is showing vengence right now !!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Run your hand up the front of your lower unit. Bang you run into a piece of aluminum. The purpose of that deflector plate is just what you are experiencing. It has to be above the water to stop the spray as Bob said.

Mark

bear_69cuda

Commander

If you have a transducer for a depth/fish finder, this could also be the culprit...

bgc

Ensign

My fishy detector on the back of the boat does this......wrapped the mount in electric tape to make it stop.....

dolla101

Cadet

My fishy detector on the back of the boat does this......wrapped the mount in electric tape to make it stop.....

i do have a fish finder..i thought that was the problem @ first so i moved it over ...maybe next time i go out ill take in off and see

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

i do have a fish finder..i thought that was the problem @ first so i moved it over ...maybe next time i go out ill take in off and see

It could very well be your sonar transducer, when you take it off be sure to seal the holes with a good marine sealant.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You can mount it inside. That's where mine are.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Mine does the same thing. May try the tape trick. Wonder if we all have Humminbirds??????