Engine flushing

ajahman

Cadet
I keep my boat in the water on a marsh creek that goes dry at half tide. When my boat was kept on a trailer I was meticulous about flushing the motor after each run in salt water.Now that it is on the dock most of the time is it effective to flush the engine with fresh water using "muffs" while the outboard is in the lowered position on high tide?The boat sits in the mud with the outboard in the raised position at low tide.The bottom IS painted with minimal growth. I pull he boat out for general cleaning about once a month and give the engine a GOOD flush at that time.I would just like to flush the engine without having to take the boat out of the water each time.Thanks in advance!
Good Boating!

Rodster44

Seaman
Re: Engine flushing

Hi
I have a 1999 Johnson 150 HP. I just checked with my dealer and for my engine they Make an adaptor fitting that you can leave your motor tilted up and hook a hose to the fitting ( on top ) to flush out your motor without running it. I am going to get one as I leave my boat in the water in the Florida Keys. This was I can flush it out every time I use it. Check with your dealer.
Rod

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine flushing

what some do is, using muffs with a short piece of water hose, (5') they flush the engine, and leave the muffs with the short piece of hose attached to the engine, until next use. atleast the power head has been flushed.