Engine Fire

The Fab

Recruit
I have a 2016 V-8 EVC-E 2.32-DP HP380 that caught on fire in a Chaparral 277 SSX. 100 hours on engine, perfect condition. tubing with family, pushed throttle forward, boat died, thought I hit the kill switch, wife said smoke, shot fire extinguisher in vents, towed back to dock, all safe but significant damage

1) Anyone have similar issues?
2) Estimates are for total replacement of engine
3) Many complications due to ECM and expense.

Any thoughts?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Do you think the fire was fuel related or electrical? In any event I’d contact Volvo even if you’re out of warrantee.
Hope you have insurance!

The Fab

Recruit
I have a 2016 V-8 EVC-E 2.32-DP HP380 that caught on fire in a Chaparral 277 SSX. 100 hours on engine, perfect condition. tubing with family, pushed throttle forward, boat died, thought I hit the kill switch, wife said smoke, shot fire extinguisher in vents, towed back to dock, all safe but significant damage

1) Anyone have similar issues?
2) Estimates are for total replacement of engine
3) Many complications due to ECM and expense.

Any thoughts?

The Fab

Recruit
Thank you for your reply, it is a Volvo Penta engine. Preliminary investigation is fuel line came off the back of the engine. Yes it is insurance covers but a lesson learned the hardware, it is insured for the purchase value (agreed upon value) which as we all know boat prices skyrocketed and their is no compensation for any improvements. update your insurance coverages!

tpenfield

Staff member
Insurance
Warranty (maybe)
Post pictures so we all can see.

The 380 HP is the GM 6.2L engine, IIRC. Sounds like the electronics went up in smoke? Pictures may tell more of the story.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Either that or a gas leak from a high pressure line or injector.
Either way I’d inform VP. There may be other cases & would be good for them to know.

The Fab

Recruit
This is the pic of the engine, some damage to fiberglass but mostly contained to inside the engine hatch

Attachments

• IMG_5131.jpeg
    IMG_5131.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 50

ta79pr

Cadet
Just wanted to comment regarding extinguisher through the vent. Great idea, and hats off to you for keeping your cool.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Wow, glad you got the fire out. Most cases you end up bailing out of the boat and watch it burn while you swim for help. Yet another reason to carry an extinguisher.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Just wanted to comment regarding extinguisher through the vent. Great idea, and hats off to you for keeping your cool.
Vents have duct hose on them so no real entry into the eng compartment
Got lucky it worked