Engine failure?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Issue with GLM has been casting quality and surface flatness. The good ones from GLM are good, doesn't matter that they have GLM cast into the sides. Inspection is everything in this case.

MThershey

Cadet
So, I got the Plugs out and water out. Motor cranks and wants to start. Going to get after it tomorrow. I'm going to check the impeller. My guess is that it failed, overheated and sucked water in the exhaust when I turned it off.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How much water came out of the cylinders? Water in all of the cylinders or one side?

Be sure you get all of the water out of the oil pan also. Maybe take a couple oil changes.

MThershey

Cadet
There was a trickle of water out of the back right (looking at the front of the motor) and a little more than a trickle out of the front right. I could see a little moisture on a couple more of the plugs.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
So, I got the Plugs out and water out. Motor cranks and wants to start. Going to get after it tomorrow. I'm going to check the impeller. My guess is that it failed, overheated and sucked water in the exhaust when I turned it off.
double check compression!!!

MThershey

Cadet
Water in oil and a small amount in cylinders. Drained the oil, changed spark plugs, and found a bad impeller. So, put in new impeller kit, plugs and oil. It started right up. I idled it long enough to get warm (with water hooked up, of course). Drained the oil again. There is water in the oil. Pulled the plugs, but no water in the cylinders. So.....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Mot common place for the 4.3 to crack is in the lifter galley right above the lifters. That kind of failure puts water in the oil but not in the cylinders.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Water in oil and a small amount in cylinders. Drained the oil, changed spark plugs, and found a bad impeller. So, put in new impeller kit, plugs and oil. It started right up. I idled it long enough to get warm (with water hooked up, of course). Drained the oil again. There is water in the oil. Pulled the plugs, but no water in the cylinders. So.....
I am afraid that you will have to tear down motor.