Engine drops slowly

terilyn2604

Recruit
Hi Folks, I have a 2007 Evinrude 115 E-Tec on my 188 Grew ski boat which I have owned since last summer. The engine has only 15 hours on it and I noticed that while the boat is parked in my garage the engine does not maintain the position it was left in and continues to trim down, and the skeg ends up resting on the concrete floor. It will move about an inch in 24 hours and the engine is in the TRIM range, not lift.
Since I am mechanically inclined, I am of the opinion that this is not normal and needs some good old warranty work. I know that the hydraulic system is a closed system and should not do this. Since it is not leaking externally, fluid must be bypassing somewhere internally such as the piston in the lift cylinder or maybe a valve.
I took it to the dealer and they said they could not find any problem, they also said the engine did not move in 3 days and it is NOT bleeding down at all.
I must have been imagining it !
You can imagine my response when they told me they were going to charge me for the labour.
Anyway, the problem is still very much alive and since the shop visit the dealer has called me back to inform me that they have contacted the manufacturer and they said it is completely normal for it to bleed off like it is.
I know I was born at night...but not last night !
My quest now is to get some knowledgeable people to advise me on this or maybe someone is out there that is having, or had this same issue so I can get by all the BS and get the warranty work done.
Any help at all would be much appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine drops slowly

run the motor all the way up lock it there, and top off the fluid. then cycle up and down, and up, lock it. recheck fluid.