Engine Driving Me Crazy!!!

evinrudexp

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Everyone! I Have Posted About This In The Past So Forgive Me If You Have Already Read About My Issue. I Have A 1988 Evinrude Xp Vro 150hp Motor That Will Run Great At Idle But As Soon As I Get On The Throttle It Will Start To Die Out Unless I Pull Back On The Throttle. Sometimes It Will Start To Die Out And Lose Power And Then Out Of Nowhere It Would Take Off. When It Would Start To Stall I Tried To Prime It But Nothing Would Happen. I Also Tried To Pump The Primer Bulb But No Difference.

I Have Done A Compression Test Which Reads 95psi On All Six. I Have Done The Spark Test And It Did Jump The 7/16 Gap With A Good Spark. I Have Just Rebuilt The Carbs.

Im Not Sure If It Matters But The Tach Doesnt Work. Im Not Sure If This Relates To My Current Problem Because The Tach Hasnt Worked For A While Even When The Motor Ran Great.

When The Motor Runs It Runs Really Good, But I Havent Heard That In Over A Year :(

What Else Should I Do?

Thanks For Reading

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Driving Me Crazy!!!

++++++i think you need to a link n sinc. if that doesn't cure it. clean the high speed jets.

evinrudexp

Seaman Apprentice

Wow that was fast! I thought I was the only one up!

I was actually working on the link and sync yesterday. Im pretty sure I cleaned out the high speed jets. Are they the jets under the float bowl or is it that needle where the gas sprays out of? I sprayed through every possible passage with Gumout and they are all free and clear.

I have read a few cases of it being a bad power pack. Is this possible in my case even though im getting a spark on all 6 and it runs fine at idle?

Do I have the SLOW mode? Could this have anything to do with it?

What mind boggles me is that it would sometimes take off out of nowhere?

I dont know anymore!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the high speed jets are behind the drain plug on the front of the bowl, requires this screwdriver to remove them, they have to be clean, any restriction and you have fuel starvation. i made mine from a screwdriver with my beltsander.

Attachments

• MVC-220S.JPG
    MVC-220S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

Roman ski's

Recruit

Hello Everyone! I Have Posted About This In The Past So Forgive Me If You Have Already Read About My Issue. I Have A 1988 Evinrude Xp Vro 150hp Motor That Will Run Great At Idle But As Soon As I Get On The Throttle It Will Start To Die Out Unless I Pull Back On The Throttle. Sometimes It Will Start To Die Out And Lose Power And Then Out Of Nowhere It Would Take Off. When It Would Start To Stall I Tried To Prime It But Nothing Would Happen. I Also Tried To Pump The Primer Bulb But No Difference.

I Have Done A Compression Test Which Reads 95psi On All Six. I Have Done The Spark Test And It Did Jump The 7/16 Gap With A Good Spark. I Have Just Rebuilt The Carbs.

Im Not Sure If It Matters But The Tach Doesnt Work. Im Not Sure If This Relates To My Current Problem Because The Tach Hasnt Worked For A While Even When The Motor Ran Great.

When The Motor Runs It Runs Really Good, But I Havent Heard That In Over A Year :(

What Else Should I Do?

Thanks For Reading

I am also having the same problem.getting my fuel pump rebuilt as we speak will keep you posted on the results.

evinrudexp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for helping me out!

tashasdaddy: I sprayed Gumout through the high speed jets while I have the bowl off. I made sure to see that the fluid went through to the other side without restriction. Do I have to take them out to make sure they are properly cleaned?

ezeke: Yes I have the 3 double barrel carbs and I believe theyere cross flow. That info on the tach seem very straight forward. I will try it out and post results.

Roman ski's: sorry to hear youre having the same problem. I can be frustrating I know. Let me know what happens with the fuel pump.

Is it possible for the power packs to work at idle but not WOT. Is it possible for them to fail even when passing the spark test on all 6? Im inclined to buy some to eliminate that option but dont want to spend $180 unless Im sure.

Thinking back, the boat ran excellent all day long the day before all the issues. The next day I added some tc3 oil to the oil tank since I used up a lot the day before. Took her out and she wouldnt accelerate.

I also replaced the ignition switch prior to the weekend that this problem started. But again, it ran great the first day.

evinrudexp

Seaman Apprentice

ezeke: Is there a way to test to coils and power pack before starting to replace things? I will check the rectifier also. Thanks